1957 silver hawk value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 silver hawk value

Hey everyone I’m new to Studebakers. Found one for sale and I fell in love with them. Can anyone tell me what I should pay for a 1957 Silver Hawk not running but ran when parked several years back. Has the 6 cyl with automatic trans. Straight body with no rust and floor pans not rusted. Does have some tail light issues and all the chrome has been painted same color as the car. Help me decide if I should buy it.

If you like a 1957 Silver Hawk, consider the one that the Studebaker National Museum currently has on eBay. It is a very nice car and an OHV V8 (a VERY big plus over the flathead six). IMO, that flathead six is inadequate for the weight and nature of a Hawk. You can spend a lot of money getting a car running, even if you do the work yourself.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You can get an idea of value by looking at the completed and sold listings on Ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
        You can get an idea of value by looking at the completed and sold listings on Ebay.
        Most of the cars sold on Ebay are sold "sight unseen". Even when numerous pictures are included in the offering it's difficult to determine withing a couple of $1000 the real worth. A photo from 25 feet cannot show the orange peel in the $600 paint job or the glass-like finish on a $5000 paint job. I bought a cars some years back and really got burned "BIG TIME". Photoshop is a great computer program for covering rust and carefully planned photos can selectively avoid flaws. A $10,000 rip for the car and another $2500 for a worthless attorney is almost enough to make a person take a trip with his Louisville Slugger.

Comment

The car I’m looking at is definitely a rough car and needs restoration. Price dropped to $3,600. I just want to be sure that after restoration I am not upside down in value. I will go look at it but first I want to educate myself on prices before restoration and after. Thanks for all the feed back. Paint job is rough but body is suppose to be rust free.

Comment

Even if you get the car for free,you'll be upside down in it after restoration.
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Originally posted by 52hawk View Post
              Even if you get the car for free,you'll be upside down in it after restoration.
              That's for sure.
              With today's prices for Chrome, paint, and upholstery alone you'd be upside down, and that's not counting the price for the car and any rust repair that may be needed.

On the plus side, I often don't think about the cost, as I buy the car because I like it, and any time a Studebaker can be saved and enjoyed, that adds a lot of value in itself.
              Last edited by TWChamp; 05-09-2018, 10:19 AM.

Comment

It sounds like there isn’t much value in the car. Might have to pass up the purchase. I want to enjoy it but also want value in it to flip it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajunmaker View Post
                  It sounds like there isn’t much value in the car. Might have to pass up the purchase. I want to enjoy it but also want value in it to flip it.
                  Here's the thing: if this car is calling to you, begging you to give it a new lease on life before Mr. Crusher gets to it, then something must be done. Sometimes, the best course of action is to place dollar value on a secondary level and do the right thing. Even if you still cannot do it, the least you can do is to refer this '57 Hawk to someone who is both willing and able.
                  Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

If you are trying to flip classic cars best find a nice finished one that someone is giving you a steal on. Few make money on the restoration. If you get your money back that you put in it it is a win. Your time will always be lost.
                    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
                    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
                    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

I doubt that the guy will crush it, he knows that he has a classic. I know what y’all are saying because I built a two door falcon wagon and came out in the whole when sold but I did enjoy it for five years. Love the car but love my money more theses days. If I could turn a profit or at least break even it would be worth the trouble to restore. Just my feelings.

Comment

If you do everything yourself, then you may turn a profit. However, prices for paint, chrome and upholstery have gone nuts, and several cars lose money for their owners at serious car auctions with serious buyers. As others have pointed out, the car may look nice, but with a six cylinder it may not be a car that you can flip and make money on.

However, if you want a different car, with the best car support group in the world, buy it or another Stude.

Comment

Thanks and I think I will stick with studes, I like upfront and honest people like the ones here.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajunmaker View Post
                            The car I’m looking at is definitely a rough car and needs restoration. Price dropped to $3,600. I just want to be sure that after restoration I am not upside down in value. I will go look at it but first I want to educate myself on prices before restoration and after. Thanks for all the feed back. Paint job is rough but body is suppose to be rust free.
                            I'm no expert but I think a '57 Silver Hawk with the 6 cyl., restored to a decent standard (#3), might bring $10K if it's a good runner.

Comment

Working...
                            X