'62 GT Hawk Tachometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: '62 GT Hawk Tachometer

Would anyone have the diameter of the original tach? Right now I have a non working aftermarket tach and would like to replace it. I haven't found an original one yet so I thought about a newer Stewart Warner style. Does anyone have recommendations?
    Jim Kaufman
    Kearney NE

1952 2R10
    1953 Champion (sold it and still kicking myself)
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 R3984 Avanti R1

3 3/8" I've been looking at this Stewart Warner "delux series" from Summit Racing. It's the closest the in appearance to the stock gauges I could find. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stewart-War...19.m1438.l2649

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
      3 3/8" I've been looking at this Stewart Warner "delux series" from Summit Racing. It's the closest the in appearance to the stock gauges I could find. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stewart-War...19.m1438.l2649

That is the closest match I have seen yet, appearance wise. A few years ago, I bought two tachs off ebay for our two GTs. They were only about $60 each. One continues to work well, but for the past year or so, the second one has been very erratic. I may bite the bullet and buy one of these you have found. Wonder if it will work with the electronic ignition that is part of the HFI setup, in the GT.
      Thanks!

Comment

Thats a good question Joe, if you find out let us know. A couple years ago I put the internals of a new Sun tach into the stock GT tach case, with the stock needle and face. I also have a GM HEI, it worked fine for a while but now won't go above 1500 rpm. I've had a GM HEI in my Ford for over 30 years, the Sun tach in it worked for 25 years before it started acting up.

Comment

The one above has only two reviews on Summit, but they are bad: rusting bezel, and slow moving needle. This one looks more promising, and higher quality, for only a little more money: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Meter-...53.m1438.l2649

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
            The one above has only two reviews on Summit, but they are bad: rusting bezel, and slow moving needle. This one looks more promising, and higher quality, for only a little more money: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Meter-...53.m1438.l2649
            The only problem with it is it doesn't begin to resemble the stock gauges. The bezel cant rust it's painted.

Comment

This is the one I used in my 62 GT Hawk with my Unilite Distributor. No problems, looks and works great.

SWW-82162
              Tachometer, Deluxe, 0-6,000 RPM, 3 3/8 in. Diameter, In-Dash Mount, Each
              Last edited by Mrkelly; 05-09-2018, 05:59 AM.
              Mike Kelly
              Regional Manager
              Texas
              1963 Lark Cruiser
              1962 GT Hawk
              1965 Commander 2dr v8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Mrkelly View Post
                This is the one I used in my 62 GT Hawk with my Unilite Distributor. No problems, looks and works great.

SWW-82162
                Tachometer, Deluxe, 0-6,000 RPM, 3 3/8 in. Diameter, In-Dash Mount, Each
                Thats the same one I posted earlier. Good to know it works well with the Unilite. If I remember right, that's just an optical trigger replacing the standard points and uses a stock coil, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                  The only problem with it is it doesn't begin to resemble the stock gauges. The bezel cant rust it's painted.
                  That is a point where you and I differ. For me, function is more important than appearance. I'd bolt a dash mounted Sun tach on the Stude, if that's what it took to get a tach that works properly. Fortunately, that will not be necessary. As for non resemblance to stock, heck neither do the 2003 Chrysler Sebring convertible seats. But they are far safer and more comfortable than OEM ever was. LOL

Comment

I see SPEEDWAY MOTORS has a 8000 RPM for $114. Its cheaper than the 6000 RPM, plus I just tuned the ole girl up so an 8000 RPM Tach might be needed now....yes this is a LOL statement. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Stewa...Inch,7120.html
                    Jim Kaufman
                    Kearney NE

1952 2R10
                    1953 Champion (sold it and still kicking myself)
                    1962 GT Hawk
                    1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1720641I have a very nice tach I never installed in my 63 R2 Hawk as I ended up fixing the OEM tach in the car. Contact me, I’ll send a pic and make you a great deal. Tim at hoesa81@yahoo.com
                      Last edited by tim333; 05-09-2018, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I added a pic, it’s yours for $70 plus shipping from 60404.
                        Last edited by tim333; 05-09-2018, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Check out your boat parts dealers, I got a boat tach from someone on this site for $50.00 new in the box. Installed it two years ago and it works great. Looks very close to the stock, 6000 RPM. Made by Veethree Instruments. Veethree Electronics and Marine, 2050 47th Terrace East, Bradenton, FL, 34203.Tel 941-538-7775, Fax 941-775-1222, www.v3instruments. com. techservice@veethree. com. Don't know if any of this is currant, it's from the instruction sheet. the only thing wrong with it is the bezel is not chrome, it's grey, but it has the same shape as the stocker. If I ever pull it out, I may try to fit the stocker. -Jim

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                            I added a pic, it’s yours for $95 plus shipping from 60404.
                            I am interested, but do you know who makes it, and the model number? With that info, it should be easy to determine if it will work with the electronic ignition I am running, which is same as mid 1980s-mid 1990s GM.
                            Thanks.

email sent
                            Last edited by JoeHall; 05-09-2018, 04:25 PM.

Comment

When I bought it I researched it through this forum. It will work on any 4 cycle gas engine. It’s a Teleflex 82288P. I found the receipt, $70 plus shipping.

Comment

Working...
                              X