Rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattle

I'm sure you patient and knowledgable folks must be weary of my frequent posts asking about one problem after another, yet here's another one: Every time I hit a bump or ride on a rough road, which is all roads here on long Island, I hear this rattling sound coming from under the dash. I went under there and found that the radio wasn't secure and I did my best to secure it by inserting a missing screw tightening exisiting ones, but to no avail. I know the clunking sound which eminates from the front end when the bushings are worn, but this isn't it. thoughts?
    peter lee

Every Studebaker I’ve ever been in has something that rattles.

Comment

it's the NUT holding the Wheel!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
        Yep...here we are with half-century old vehicles as a hobby and we need to weigh the "fun-factor" against expectations of perfection. Kinda reminds me of a riding partner I had back in the 1970's. She always showed up with her Chevy truck and color matching horse trailer. Her horse had a perfectly braided mane with little color-coordinated bows. Everything matched down to the shades of leather from the bridle, reins, and saddle. But, all day, she did nothing but fuss at the horse, complain, and nitpick. Pretty lady, but miserable. Last I heard...her husband drank himself to death.

As far as the rattle goes, stay after it, fooling around with these relics requires tenacity. I have had one of my vehicles for over four decades. It has a sound that reminds me of a cricket. I have never named my vehicles, but I am thinking about naming this one "Cricket."
        Be careful about eliminating rattles 'cause getting rid of one might lead to another your never want to hear.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I once had a 56J with such rattle and it nearly drove me nuts, before I finally found it. Check the hood torsion bar that runs across, and connects the left and right hinges. It is supposed to have two rubber sleeves, about 3-4" long. Those sleeves tap the two dimples in the upper firewall, when the car hits bumps in the road. If those sleeves have shifted, as they often do, the metal bar then hits those metal dimples on the firewall, and make the sound you describe. Those two dimples are just outboard of the wiper motor. Easy enough to check, just do a visual to see if they align with the dimples. You can also just replace them, as they become hard and brittle over the decades anyway. I just use a piece of 3'8" ID gas hose, cut to length, and slit full length.

Hope this helps.
          Joe H

Comment

Check the windshield wiper mounts/bolts/gasket. Had a rattle in the Power Hawk for thirty years and that's what was causing it. Faulty installation at the factory...

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
              I once had a 56J with such rattle and it nearly drove me nuts, before I finally found it. Check the hood torsion bar that runs across, and connects the left and right hinges. It is supposed to have two rubber sleeves, about 3-4" long. Those sleeves tap the two dimples in the upper firewall, when the car hits bumps in the road. If those sleeves have shifted, as they often do, the metal bar then hits those metal dimples on the firewall, and make the sound you describe. Those two dimples are just outboard of the wiper motor. Easy enough to check, just do a visual to see if they align with the dimples. You can also just replace them, as they become hard and brittle over the decades anyway. I just use a piece of 3'8" ID gas hose, cut to length, and slit full length.

Hope this helps.
              Joe H
              Joe beat me to it. This is what I thought your noise was from. People always seem to describe the noise as coming from under the dash. It is amazing how many cars, even "restored" cars, either do not have these bumpers or they are located in the wrong places. If you are not sure, post an underhood picture of your car showing the firewall/hood area.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yup, rattles were standard equipment.....along with the wind whistling thru the windows....just get used to it!
                Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                Every Studebaker I’ve ever been in has something that rattles.
                Lou Van Anne
                62 Champ
                64 R2 GT Hawk
                79 Avanti II

Comment

Yup.....every Studebaker has a nut holding the wheel!.....I confess.
                  Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
                  Lou Van Anne
                  62 Champ
                  64 R2 GT Hawk
                  79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
                    Yup.....every Studebaker has a nut holding the wheel!.....I confess.
                    I beg your pardon, but I am not a "nut." I am a legume. Thank you.
                    peter lee

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
                      I love Studebaker peeps!
                      Mike Davis
                      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
                        Careful there...that could mean that you could be qualified as a "PEA-NUT" and susceptible to cracking at the seams!
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I once had a rattle I couldn't track down from the instrument panel. After much searching and actually laying under the dash with a mechanic's stethoscope while someone else drove the car (that was fun...!), I tracked the sound to one of the instrument pods. Turned out someone, while trying to change a burned-out bulb in the speedometer pod, had broken the bulb off. The rattling was the glass bulb rolling & rattling around the bottom of the case as I drove.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

It should be noted, that the proper name for the two 292268 split rubber parts that attach to the hood hinge tie rod is “Anti-rattler”. What does that tell you?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post

Hope this helps.
                              Joe H
                              i took your suggestion and it appears to work. Also, the coil wasn't secure in the holder so I tightened that. Thanks. Now I can go back to just having my wife make me crazy.
                              peter lee

Comment

Working...
                              X