PDA

View Full Version : Redmond Exotics car show today- 5 May 2018

48skyliner
05-05-2018, 10:51 PM
The first two Saturdays were cancelled for threat of rain, so today had the most amazing turnout ever, overflowing into nearby parking lots, rows of Porsche, Jaguar, Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, Lotus, Nissan GTRs and a sprinkling of Ariel Atoms, Cobras, Healeys, a Panhard Dyna, a few American muscle cars, and even one Studebaker. They parked me in the main entry road, behind a very nice Model A pickup, and the Stude got lots of attention. People who took the time to look at it in detail and ask a few questions really liked the innovative mods we did and all the little custom touches. I am noticing over the last few years that more people are liking the idea of using modern Japanese mechanicals.

A friend of ours, who is a master Porsche mechanic and has a collection of Porsches, traded a couple of his cars a few years ago for several American cars including a 52 Studebaker coupe. I inquired about buying it five years ago when I was looking at Studes, but he said at the time he "would not sell the car to someone who was going to butcher it". Well, his car is still sitting in the warehouse where he bought it - he has never driven it. He showed up today and stood there listening to all the comments people made about my car - I think he realized people really like what Sean O'Brien and I did with this car. In all fairness, he has told me more than once that he really likes the things we did.

So our friend's 52 coupe apparently has a V8 - I have never actually seen it. He does not actually know what he has, but says it is in really excellent original condition. If my understanding is correct, a 52 with a V8 is a Commander, and it could be a Starliner hardtop, but not a Starlight coupe. Is this correct?

studegary
05-05-2018, 11:34 PM
Not quite "correct". It could be a 1952 Commander Regal Starlight coupe, State Starlight coupe or State Starliner hardtop or possibly even a Regal 2dr sedan or State 2dr sedan (that some people erroneously refer to as coupes).

sals54
05-07-2018, 12:16 AM
The first two Saturdays were cancelled for threat of rain, so today had the most amazing turnout ever, overflowing into nearby parking lots, rows of Porsche, Jaguar, Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, Lotus, Nissan GTRs and a sprinkling of Ariel Atoms, Cobras, Healeys, a Panhard Dyna, a few American muscle cars, and even one Studebaker. They parked me in the main entry road, behind a very nice Model A pickup, and the Stude got lots of attention. People who took the time to look at it in detail and ask a few questions really liked the innovative mods we did and all the little custom touches. I am noticing over the last few years that more people are liking the idea of using modern Japanese mechanicals.

A friend of ours, who is a master Porsche mechanic and has a collection of Porsches, traded a couple of his cars a few years ago for several American cars including a 52 Studebaker coupe. I inquired about buying it five years ago when I was looking at Studes, but he said at the time he "would not sell the car to someone who was going to butcher it". Well, his car is still sitting in the warehouse where he bought it - he has never driven it. He showed up today and stood there listening to all the comments people made about my car - I think he realized people really like what Sean O'Brien and I did with this car. In all fairness, he has told me more than once that he really likes the things we did.

So our friend's 52 coupe apparently has a V8 - I have never actually seen it. He does not actually know what he has, but says it is in really excellent original condition. If my understanding is correct, a 52 with a V8 is a Commander, and it could be a Starliner hardtop, but not a Starlight coupe. Is this correct?

I love the fact you're getting such great responses to your car. An engineering marvel to be sure. I love it.

StudeRich
05-07-2018, 02:14 AM
/Cut/ So our friend's 52 coupe apparently has a V8 - I have never actually seen it. He does not actually know what he has, but says it is in really excellent original condition. If my understanding is correct, a 52 with a V8 is a Commander, and it could be a Starliner hardtop, but not a Starlight coupe. Is this correct?

His "Coupe" could be one of these:
72262 72263 This Hood Emblem say's it's a '52 Champion Six, but the Commander V8 Starlight Coupe looks otherwise exactly the same.

OR This:
72264 A '52 Starliner Hardtop.