trunk mounted antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: trunk mounted antenna

Where could I find a replacement antenna for the trunk mounted one, I have the chrome base with the tapered hole,or do I just epoxy in any antenna

Believe SI has the bits and peices you need. Luck Doofus

Comment

I don't recall how I did it, but waaay back in the 1980's, I bought a cheap aftermarket automatic antennae and installed it in my 1962 GT Hawk. I used the original center trunk Antennae chrome base and adapted the antennae mast to run up through it. I made a grommet of some sort to seal out rain and used something (don't recall exactly what) to fabricate a bracket to hold the unit in place under the trunk.

I enjoyed entertaining kids by running the antennae up and down like a bee stinger. I sold the car in 1988, so forgive me for not remembering the details of my tinkering.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Epoxy might not work since the mast must make good contact with the mount to work properly. Needs to be a good press fit, metal to metal.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

The antenna needs to be electrically isolated from the trunk lid.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I don't think that epoxy would work as it is not conductive and like Roy says, the antenna mast has to be insulated from the deck lid to to work properly.Years back I repaired the deck mount antenna on one of the 62GT's that I've owned over the years but I'll have to think about how I did it. Bud

Comment

Thanks,I think I'll figure it out by tinkering. Mike

Comment

Roy Valdez in Camino Ca. repairs antenna's and it might be a good idea to give him a call. 530-320-6299, Bill

Comment

Working...
                X