Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone after Avanti Motor Corp branded supercharger belts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone after Avanti Motor Corp branded supercharger belts?

I was about to toss a pair of old, but still useable, supercharger belts, but thought I'd check and see if these are desired items at all. Stamped Avanti Motor Corp. For all I know, they're totally common, but if anyone wants them, they're yours to pick up or pay for shipping for.

Dave

Dave: I'll take them but you'll have to ship. I'll PM you my info. Let me know cost and I'll either Paypal you (if you have that) or I'll send you a check. Thanks. stupak

Comment

You do have to wonder what THAT is all about!

Not Studebaker?

Not SASCO?

But, Avanti Motor Corp.??

Lets see, they built what 1 or 2 Chevy. Powered Avantis with Paxton Superchargers?
      And was it EVEN Newman & Altman? Or Blake, OR, OR, OR?

So was the Name on the Rubber or the Cardboard Packaging?

Do they fit a Stude. or Chevrolet?

Remember that there was a Co. Called "Avanti Parts Corp." (Division of Newman & Altman Corp.) that sold STUDEBAKER PARTS for a short time, before being re-named S.A.S.C.O. but Avanti Motors only sold Avantis and Avanti Parts.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yeah, Rich, I was surprised myself when I noticed that. They fit a Stude with sidemount Paxton.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7459.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1720527

Comment

My memory is a little hazy on the dates, but this is close.
          1. When the Newman and Altman families bought the rights to build Avantis, they also gained exclusive rights to reproduce and sell all parts that were used exclusively on Avantis, both Studebaker Avantis and Avanti IIs. This is probably where the supercharger belt came from.
          2. Studebaker's last parts price list was published in July 1971.
          3. Studebaker exited the parts business and sold its parts depot, including building 69, to Avanti Parts Corp in late 1971. Avanti Parts was owned by the Newman and Altman families, but was a separate company from Newman & Altman, Inc. AP continued to honor price discounts for existing dealers, while N&A sold retail to customers. AP had the authority fulfill all orders for Stude parts except those used exclusively on Avantis.
          4. The consolidation of all remaining Studebaker parts, except those owned by Avanti Motors (a separate company also owned by the Newman and Altman families) at AP was completed in August 1972.
          5. Both Avanti Motors and Avanti Parts produced parts price lists throughout the 1970s.
          6. In November 1985, Avanti Parts Corp changed its name to Studebaker Parts Corp and published a new price list with that name.
          7. Newman & Altman purchased the Avanti Parts inventory effective December 1986 -- so AP continued as an independent company for 14 years. The consolidated companies were later renamed SASCO.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

All I can say is; those TWO Families certainly kept their Lawyers BUSY trying to determine which, owned WHAT!

Nate Altman was always "Mr. Avanti" and ran Avanti Motors profitably by not changing any more than absolutely necessary what Studebaker had spent Millions creating.
            I met him in 1966 on a Personal Tour of the Plant and he was a Great guy.

Remember that I was on the receiving end of all of those Studebaker Automotive Sales Corp. (Studebaker), Parts Price Lists, and Avanti Parts Corp. and then the Newman & Altman Corp. and then the N&A owned S.A.S.C.O. Companies, working at their West Coast Distributor Frost and French Studebaker.

When the Newmans took over those Parts, the Dealer Discounts ENDED, so every time a Shop employee came in and said: "I'll take the Joe's Auto Service Wholesale PRICE please, here's our Calif. Resale Number", I had to say: "sorry, we no longer HAVE a Wholesale Price, it's ALL Retail".
            Last edited by StudeRich; 05-03-2018, 02:14 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the info, Skip.

And, the belts have been spoken for.

Dave

Comment

I have 1970 and 1981 Avanti Motor Corp., and 1973 and 1981 Avanti Parts Corp. parts price lists. That part number only appears in the 1973 Avanti Parts​ Corp. price list.
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I have 1970 and 1981 Avanti Motor Corp., and 1973 and 1981 Avanti Parts Corp. parts price lists. That part number only appears in the 1973 Avanti Parts​ Corp. price list.
                  Extra cool - as it's the year I was born!

Comment

Working...
                  X