X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom '58 Scotsman wagon - story

I was cruising Google and found this story on a Florida custom site:

I'm a sucker for the look of these cars. There's one weird thing in the story where it says that the car has a "304 c.i. Stude motor" - all I can figure is that that's the displacement after being bored out? Nice car though.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Perhaps a R-3 or a clone? [][]

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Perhaps a R-3 or a clone? [][]

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

When I was stationed in Mayport, Fl (near Jacksonville) I went to a show that this car showed up to...
        Knocked me on my feet it did!!! At that time it wasn't quite finished, after reading the article I'm sorry to see that the original builder didn't live to see it completed. The motor has no blower, but it is BUILT!!! I seem to remember it having a 700R4 trans, but this article says otherwise. I remember thinking that this is almost exactly how I would do a custom- One thing you can't see in the pictures is all the chrome inside, ALL of the trim around the back windows was chromed!!! I had always wanted to 'french' my license plate, and put louvers in the hood- this car showed me what it would look like...
        One thing to point out~ this is a '58, but has had a '57 grille installed in it.

StudeDave [8D]
        V/P San Diego County SDC
        San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
        '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
        '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
        '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
        '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
        '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

When I was stationed in Mayport, Fl (near Jacksonville) I went to a show that this car showed up to...
          Knocked me on my feet it did!!! At that time it wasn't quite finished, after reading the article I'm sorry to see that the original builder didn't live to see it completed. The motor has no blower, but it is BUILT!!! I seem to remember it having a 700R4 trans, but this article says otherwise. I remember thinking that this is almost exactly how I would do a custom- One thing you can't see in the pictures is all the chrome inside, ALL of the trim around the back windows was chromed!!! I had always wanted to 'french' my license plate, and put louvers in the hood- this car showed me what it would look like...
          One thing to point out~ this is a '58, but has had a '57 grille installed in it.

StudeDave [8D]
          V/P San Diego County SDC
          San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
          '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
          '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
          '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
          '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
          '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Clark,

R3 & R4 engines were indeed 304cu.in. in displacement. It wouldn't take much to make a clone of one.[]

BTW, the engine compartment of my 58 Provincial is gonna look like that to some degree when it gulps the 321 that's being constructed to sit there.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Clark,

R3 & R4 engines were indeed 304cu.in. in displacement. It wouldn't take much to make a clone of one.[]

BTW, the engine compartment of my 58 Provincial is gonna look like that to some degree when it gulps the 321 that's being constructed to sit there.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:BTW, the engine compartment of my 58 Provincial is gonna look like that to some degree when it gulps the 321 that's being constructed to sit there.
                [:0] Tell me more!!! [8D]

Comment

quote:BTW, the engine compartment of my 58 Provincial is gonna look like that to some degree when it gulps the 321 that's being constructed to sit there.
                  [:0] Tell me more!!! [8D]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

R3 & R4 engines were indeed 304cu.in. in displacement.
                    Really! I didn't know that. You don't hear (or read) people talk about that very much! Thanks!

Clark in San Diego
                    '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

R3 & R4 engines were indeed 304cu.in. in displacement.
                      Really! I didn't know that. You don't hear (or read) people talk about that very much! Thanks!

Clark in San Diego
                      '63 F2/Lark Standard

Comment

quote:
                        They are some really cool hi-performance Stude engines. I've ridden in both an R3 and R4 Avantis before. It's a ride you can't forget!
                        And the sound of that R4 is just phenomenal. [] [8D]

Comment

quote:
                          They are some really cool hi-performance Stude engines. I've ridden in both an R3 and R4 Avantis before. It's a ride you can't forget!
                          And the sound of that R4 is just phenomenal. [] [8D]

Comment

Matthew

Just to pick nits, you might have rode in one of the 9 Avanti R3's, but not a R4 Avanti since they never sold one. Lot's of cars have the R3 airbox and other bits, same with adding a dual 4 barrel manfold to a R1.
                            There are a handful of clones with all the correct parts,(i.e. the Plain Brown wrapper), but many more wantabees. Just didn't want anyone out there looking in vain for a factory R4 Avanti.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
                            64 Daytona HT
                            63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                            63 GT Hawk
                            63 Avanti R1/AC
                            63 Avanti R2 (Sold)
                            63 Daytona HT
                            63 Lark 2 dr.
                            62 Lark 2 door
                            60 Lark convert
                            60 Hawk
                            59 3E Truck
                            57 Silver Hawk
                            53 Starliner
                            51 Commander
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

Matthew

Just to pick nits, you might have rode in one of the 9 Avanti R3's, but not a R4 Avanti since they never sold one. Lot's of cars have the R3 airbox and other bits, same with adding a dual 4 barrel manfold to a R1.
                              There are a handful of clones with all the correct parts,(i.e. the Plain Brown wrapper), but many more wantabees. Just didn't want anyone out there looking in vain for a factory R4 Avanti.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
                              64 Daytona HT
                              63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                              63 GT Hawk
                              63 Avanti R1/AC
                              63 Avanti R2 (Sold)
                              63 Daytona HT
                              63 Lark 2 dr.
                              62 Lark 2 door
                              60 Lark convert