Rear motor mounts, Lark standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear motor mounts, Lark standard

I have been wrestling with getting the clutch in this '59 Lark for the last couple of weekends. I finally bought a tranny jack. I seem to have more problems with Stude clutches. It always ends up being operater error.

I couldn't get the tranny to stab. I've changed back to the original bell housing and with the tranny jack, I'm a 1/2" from stabbing (not sucked in with the tranny bolts this time, I did that and it caused a bind).

The front bottom of the tranny seems to be hitting the rear motor mount on it's very top. Is that mount installed in a particular manner? I mean is there a difference in the position of the mount relative to the tranny if flipped around front to back?

I'm under the thing right now and could use any pearls of wisdom you might have. Thanks, Kelly 520-609-3392

Kelly J. Marion

If it can be believed, being just a reference for parts ordering, not assembly. The Chassis parts Catalog does show the holes in the rear engine mounting plate to the bellhousing as centered, but the holes to the frame as offset.

If that is the case, and I believe it is, by reversing the plate you would move the whole engine forward or back! Unfortunately I don't see that making any difference for clearance behind the housing where you need it though. If this drawing is wrong and the housing to plate holes are offset, I could see that helping your situation. It would be worth removing the mounting plate to be sure.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I am putting a t-10 in my 59 and we have had the trans and bellhousing in a number of times this week end(in order to cut the shifter hole correctly).If the rear mount is put in reversed it will hit the trans. the bolt holes in the mount are offset the smaller space between the bolts and the end of the mount go to the rear. . Let me know if you would a picture, Hope this helps.
      Joe

1959 HARDTOP R2 clone
      1960 conv
      SDC member since 1972
      1959 HARDTOP R2 4speed
      1960 conv R2 auto
      SDC member since 1972
      http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff21/59r2/DSC01514-3.jpg

Comment

Working...
      X