Ralph Stanley's Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ralph Stanley's Avanti

It's on fleBay, and initially looks like a viable project. Not so fast, it may be parts only. The A pillars are shot. And no, I'm not looking for another project, but the history makes me want to hope it can be saved.

How awful is the pillar/cowl repair, or is it terminal, even with the provenance?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

This one? https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Studeb...Na2iD7&vxp=mtr

That rust looks pretty bad so it would probably require a complete replacement. Picture cutting out the entire windshield enclosure 360 degrees and reglassing one in it place. No place for the faint of heart. Personally, I'd grind a few spots on the cowl and roof area and see what was there (rust or steel) before I'd be very interested.

My 74 had some rust in the uprights but that is a straight forward metal patch like any body panel.

At least the seller showed the damage that's to his credit.

Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 04-26-2018, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Did "Doc Stanley" Play a Doctor on TV?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Nope,
        I don't think so. He was a bluegrass legend however, and I am surprised he had an Avanti
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post

That rust looks pretty bad so it would probably require a complete replacement. Picture cutting out the entire windshield enclosure 360 degrees and reglassing one in it place. No place for the faint of heart. Personally, I'd grind a few spots on the cowl and roof area and see what was there (rust or steel) before I'd be very interested.

My 74 had some rust in the uprights but that is a straight forward metal patch like any body panel.

Bob
          Yeah, That's what I thought. Without provenance, it's a parts car. With? who knows.
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

Herb Shriner was an American humorist, like Sam Levinson.........he loved his Avanti and worked on it himself. A short time after he "tended" to the brakes, he was killed as his car lost it's brakes and hit a tree as I remember:-(

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post

Bob
              Well... I may have a solution for whoever buys this Avanti. If rust in the body shell is a problem, then just swing on by my house and take the really nice body shell I have sitting on my side yard. It's FREE.
              If I can't get this gone soon, its gonna get cut up and sold as sections. Roof... Right Rear Quarter... Left Rear Quarter... Etc.
              sals54

Comment

This car had the full windshield frame replaced (due to rust) when it was restored. It can be done.

Comment

Matthew, ANYTHING can be done, if you put enough money into it! <G>

Jim
                  "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                  their Memorials!

Comment

I noticed what looked like silt partway up the sides of the body in the previous EBay listing,so,being a coastal Florida car,it may have sustained flood damage during a hurricane.But with a total production of 809 1964 Studebaker Avantis,it's a rare and special car that certainly deserves to be saved.

Comment

Is this your car? It looks stunning!!!!!!!
                      Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                      This car had the full windshield frame replaced (due to rust) when it was restored. It can be done.

Comment

How true Jim how true!
                        Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
                        Matthew, ANYTHING can be done, if you put enough money into it! <G>

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
                          Is this your car? It looks stunning!!!!!!!
                          Not mine. Belongs to a local museum. They just let me play with it sometimes.

Comment

The auction ended with no bidders. I think that it was worth the starting bid, but much too far away. With the car, sals54 offered, the two could have been made into one nice car.
                            Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

I don't think it should get much more than about $4K. The work required to just put it back together is rather daunting to start. But the added bonus of having to dismantle it down to its underwear and then put it back together is well beyond most peoples capabilities. That expense alone would take it well beyond its value. Sorry, but it is an R1 automatic. Those are a dime a dozen. (just kidding of course). But in reality, Avantis are just not there yet in terms of resale value. 5 more years and we'll all be looking back at this opportunity and screaming in agony over the missed chance we let pass by, when R1 Avantis are selling for $50K.
                              The dark side of the equation is the possibility of it becoming a parts car. There's not enough of it present to put back together without spending a boat load of cash. And there's probably only about 6-8 thousand dollars worth of parts there. The labor and shipping would also be very time consuming.
                              Just my thoughts.
                              sals54

Comment

Working...
                              X