satellite company of Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• satellite company of Studebaker

Didn't Studebaker have a satellite company that made power generators?? I'm thinking the companies name was Orenda.. I'm aware of the Canadian company that builds the Iroquois jet engine, are they the same company but connected in some way??

I believe it was Onan generators?

Comment

Originally posted by BRUCESTUDE View Post
      They also made a wide-range of small engines, some to power generators and others for all kinds of applications. In 1977 I bought a Gravely model 430 tractor. It had a one-cylinder 12 hp Onan engine. Talk about obsolete. It was obsolete when it was factory installed in the 1972 Gravely. When the engine threw a rod due to a poor overhaul, it took me over two years to accumulate the parts needed to repair it. Then after running a couple hours, it quit running when the totally unique ignition system failed. It has been sitting ever since.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by BRUCESTUDE View Post
        They also made a wide-range of small engines, some to power generators and others for all kinds of applications. In 1977 I bought a Gravely model 430 tractor. It had a one-cylinder 12 hp Onan engine. Talk about obsolete. It was obsolete when it was factory installed in the 1972 Gravely. When the engine threw a rod due to a poor overhaul, it took me over two years to accumulate the parts needed to repair it. Then after running a couple hours, it quit running when the totally unique ignition system failed. It has been sitting ever since.
        By the way, the Onan Parts book said Studebaker right on the front cover.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I believe the Studebaker Corporation also had control of STP additives, Franklin Appliance, Cincinnati Testing Labs, and ailing airline Trans International among other divisions. As a matter of fact, the post-Churchill conglomerate covered so much area that total profits were always at or above the $10 million mark, even with the losses the automotive division was incurring. Sometimes, I wish that the car division wasn't shut down. A multi-field company that loses its core business also loses its identity in my opinion.
          Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Eaton valves and Clarke equipment were also owned by Studebaker. Years ago I saw the list in an old magazine ad, but don't recall all the satellite companies Studebaker owned.

- - - Updated - - -

Eaton valves and Clarke equipment were also owned by Studebaker. Years ago I saw the list in an old magazine ad, but don't recall all the satellite companies Studebaker owned.

Comment

BRUCESTUDE
              You are indeed correct. Pictured is one of my backup generators(we live off the grid and produce our own power primarily via solar and wind ), a 1985 Onan, division of Studebaker Corporation produced by the Libby Welding Company for military service.
              It is a four cylinder Air cooled diesel unit conservatively rated at 10 KW with a surge factor of well over 200%. IWeighing in at about 1400 lbs it can be configured as:
              GENERATOR SET, DIESEL ENGINE DRIVEN, TACTICAL SKID MTD 10 kW, 1 PHAS E
              -2 WIRE, 1 PHASE -3 WIRE, 3 PHASE -4 WIRE, 120, 120/240 AND 120/208 VOLT S
              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1075[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	1720482Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1076[1].jpg
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	1720483Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1077[1].jpg
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1720484Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1078[1].jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1720485
              Bill

Comment

Comment

Buzzard is correct. A lot of older Military Generators were Studebaker Onan.

Comment

Working...
                  X