Electrical Grounding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Grounding

Well, I got my dash back in and wired. Thought I would check the wireing with an ohm meter to ground for shorts. I started under the hood with the 5 lug terminal strip on the fan shroud. All show short to ground. Then went to the voltage reg. Same thing on all terminals. Battery side of starter solinoid also short to ground.
    I did add ground to the instraments by attaching the ground wire to the mounting lug on each instrament cluster. Did not see where the ground to the instraments comes from.

John Ratliff

When you are using an ohm meter to check the wiring to ground, remember that any light bulb or motor creates a path to ground. This will show as a "short" on the meter.

Jim Bradley
    Lewistown PA
    '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
    Jim Bradley
    Lake Monticello, VA
    '78 Avanti II
    sigpic

Comment

It is very hard to isolate ground ... must be checked individually....virtually nothing can be attached to the system...otherwise a path to ground is established... Easier way to check the system is to read the amperage draw to gound while all systems are "off"...

1955 President one owner
      Moncks Corner, SC

Comment

Well, after replacing a few bulbs. I put the battery in the car and checked all lights and switches. Every thing works just fine. No smoke or fire.[8D][^]
        Thanks too all.
        Will put some pictures up latter.

John Ratliff

Comment

Never hurts to run an extra ground or 3! <G> my 52 lights I felt were poor, until we cam back from Fairborn Studebaker last year! Myself, Bob Palma, TOM Noller, and his son glen. They all seemed to think I had bright lights, dash included.

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
          X