Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah salvage yard forced to close

Looks to have a lot of Studebakers

GRANTSVILLE, Utah – Dennis McBride, 73, has spent his lifetime working in his family scrap yard, but not just any scrap yard— this wrecking yard is a full
    Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

selling everything for a little over scrap price! that's gotta suck! lotsa stude stuff indeed, hope lots of it gets saved...and do you figure that truck is a true NAPCO or is the cab and sheet metal on a different frame? cheers, junior
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

The number given is 435-830-0069...Dennis McBride
      Mike Davis
      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

I have been to the yard, talked to the owner......at least 100+ Studes....

Comment

Sad for this guy because it has been his life. And as a Studebaker owner it seems sad too because, yes, it does seem like a potential opportunity for parts being lost.

On the other hand there is constant talk about the decline in interest of cars by younger generations. And of those who have some interest, Studebakers don't seem near the top of the list. Frequently there is notice of yet another old Studebaker guy having passed away, or gotten too old and needs to dispose of his "Stash of Studebakers." So, while it seems a sad occurance to see these and other stories it may just come down to supply and demand. And in this case supply exceeds demand. But better that than the other way around.
          Last edited by wittsend; 04-20-2018, 08:54 AM.
          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Good opportunities for local folks.......or those who "have trailer, will travel".
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
              I have been to the yard, talked to the owner......at least 100+ Studes....
              OUCH BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It's not about future generation, here, it's about Mr. McBride's way of life. Is right to disregard this man's life, really the only one he has ever known. He should be grandfathered in and allowed to live out the rest of his life without having to always look over his shoulder, to see where the next shot is coming from. This is nothing more then a greedy attempt to increase property values, and make the new development more lucrative.

Failing in any attempt to get community opinion, on his side, seems to be a forgone conclusion. If I were Mr. McBride, I would look into refinancing, and staying on the property as long as I could. The appreciation for the property should more then cover the additional costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                  Failing in any attempt to get community opinion, on his side, seems to be a forgone conclusion. If I were Mr. McBride, I would look into refinancing, and staying on the property as long as I could. The appreciation for the property should more then cover the additional costs.
                  If he more time, he could have swung a deal with a land developer, he could have done some 'horsetrading' by swapping his lucrative property with some land a few miles further away, plus some $$$ to move all the vehicles.

Craig

Comment

I noticed an R2 Avanti in the old airplane hanger. Wonder if he's selling that? Hope the man or the new property owners can at lease keep the old historical Texaco station.
                    Attached Files
                    Lew Schucart
                    Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

That really stinks, and he doesn't have much time to sell it all off.
                      About 10 years ago we lost about 7 junk yards all in a row on Bunker Lake BLVD, due to development. That was a big loss, and a couple of those yards had several old cars.

Comment

Many of these old family businesses have a lot of rights that they don't know and the county will intimidate and bulldoze those rights. However McBride had to have agreed and signed a contract with the developer and probably received sufficient money to carry him through for the rest of his life. These stories are all too frequent with incurable collectors, the desire to collect items is what controls them and there is no cure accept you-know-what. Some times your hands has to be forced. I am sure McBride at 73 will be a very happy man with the money he has received for the property and will be able to buy some near by land and continue with his passion albeit maybe somewhat down sized. We all have to look at the calendar some times. When your supply stock gets out of control and is out of balance with what you sell should be time to do a comprehensive inventory. Unfortunately McBride's hand has been forced but he had to have signed a contract and agreed with it. Also he is a victim of his own and mainly his fathers passion. We all have our own passions.

Comment

I can feel for this man. I have a carpentry shop which I share with a few metal guys right in the middle of Pasadena. All around us there are buildings going up towering over us. Just a matter of time before the city changes it’s zoning and forces us out. Not much value placed on tradesmen anymore. Not much value placed on history either.

Comment

Funny how folks have plenty of advise & opinions on a situation they no little of..... if you were to talk to the gentleman about the circumstances involved here, you would certainly have a different point of view. I won't get into the politics and "other" interesting aspects of the situation, but 'nuf said.... Lots of very good cars & parts.....

Comment

Working...
                            X