Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone from California recognize this specialty plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone from California recognize this specialty plate?

The seller of the truck I just bough knew that the late owner bought it out of state, but it had two black 1963 California license plates last renewed in 1999 and this other plate. Anyone remember seeing this at a Studebaker function or car show in past years?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 52-fan; 04-19-2018, 11:51 AM.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Just FYI: Black California truck plates beginning with S were first issued in 1965, which means it was probably registered in another state before that.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
      Just FYI: Black California truck plates beginning with S were first issued in 1965, which means it was probably registered in another state before that.
      Interesting. The plates both have 63 stamped in the place where the year stickers go. I guessed that that was the first year of issue and then stickers followed.
      I found a registration for a person named Brengarth in Vista California in 1998 there is a temporary operating permit with no name issued for 50s LADY 5/31/02.
      I also found a proof of insurance slip made out to a lady named Bond in Ammon, Idaho 2004. So I guess the truck moved from California to Idaho. The man I talked to about the truck thought the person who brought it to Mississippi bought it in Kansas, but he wasn't sure.
      All of this doesn't make much difference in me enjoying the truck. I was just surprised that it had made it to me from California and I also wondered if that had anything to do with its heavy duty replacement underpinnings.
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Interesting. The plates both have 63 stamped in the place where the year stickers go. I guessed that that was the first year of issue and then stickers followed.
        I found a registration for a person named Brengarth in Vista California in 1998 there is a temporary operating permit with no name issued for 50s LADY 5/31/02.
        I also found a proof of insurance slip made out to a lady named Bond in Ammon, Idaho 2004. So I guess the truck moved from California to Idaho. The man I talked to about the truck thought the person who brought it to Mississippi bought it in Kansas, but he wasn't sure.
        All of this doesn't make much difference in me enjoying the truck. I was just surprised that it had made it to me from California and I also wondered if that had anything to do with its heavy duty replacement underpinnings.
        Attached Files
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I've been in California all my life. Even back then, black plates would be issued when an in-state transfer happened. It's very likely that it was originally a California car when the 63 plates were issued.
          sals54

Comment

S28392 = 1965 F100 (VIN: F10DR639898) assembled January 1965 in San Jose CA

Plates issued by the Culver City DMV office.
            Last edited by WinM1895; 04-20-2018, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post

Interesting. Thanks.
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

These black plates are no longer in the system as I replaced them in 1983 (the front plate was so battered, it looked like it had been on a Hawk!).

Since black plates are available in CA again, someone could use the number.

btw: I've owned 9 Hawks, so am well aware that the front license plates take a beating.

Comment

These black plates are no longer in the system as I replaced them in 1983 (the front plate was so battered, it looked like it had been on a Hawk!).

Since black plates are available in CA again, someone could use the number.

btw: I've owned 9 Hawks, so am well aware that the front license plates take a beating.
                  Both of these are in pretty good shape. The higher location on this truck may have helped. I'll probably sell them to someone who needs them and put the money in my restoration fund.
                  Attached Files
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

All original California black plates were stamped with "63" in the right-side sticker well, just like all the yellow plates they replaced in January of 1963 were embossed with "56" in the black bar across the top. In each case, the stamping indicates when the plate style was introduced and has nothing to do with when the individual plate was actually issued or renewed, which California indicates with reflectorized stickers of different colors.
                    Last edited by JGK 940; 04-20-2018, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Here's a custom black original plate from California.

It's for all you Hawk guys and gals.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
                        Here's a custom black original plate from California.

It's for all you Hawk guys and gals.
                        AWK 393 black plate issued in northern CA that someone added an H to. Very creative, to say the least.

Comment

Working...
                        X