I finally found my 2R5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally found my 2R5

Anyone that has talked Studebakers with me knows that I have wanted a 2R pickup for a long time. It seemed that every time I thought I found one the deal fell through or the buyer wanted more money than I could afford. A few days ago SDC member, Jim Jones from the West Tennessee chapter, contacted me about a man in Mississippi who was trying to sell a pickup his daughter had inherited. I contacted the people and the truck sounded promising. Arkansas SDC member James Stevens had a trailer we could borrow and the pictures looked promising so Joe and I were on a road trip.
    We left Searcy around 4 AM yesterday and arrived at the place near Meridian near 11 AM.
    What we found:
    We crawled under and around, felt for rust and hidden filler (the usual suspects) and were satisfied that this was a rust free example.
    The engine is a 63-64 259 with overdrive from a car. The front mounts appear to be truck type, but the rear is a car mount with a tab welded to the stock cross member.
    The radiator is from the car and the radiator support was cut off with wooden spacers added.
    The is some weird plumbing on the engine. I'll post pictures later.
    The paint is shiny, but the paint job is a 15 footer.
    The bed has a few dents on the sides, but the floor and front panel look like they were attacked with a big hammer.
    The tail gate looks new as well as the rear fenders.
    There is an air conditioner from a car (Lark?).
    The rear end is from a 3/4 ton? truck of unknown origin.
    There is an Oldsmobile radio and a CB radio.

The truck does not currently run, but we were assured that before the owner had passed two years ago he drove it all over. In any case it seemed like a good risk even though there are a host of issues I will want to address. We settled on a reasonable price that wasn't too big a stretch for me and the papers changed hands.
    Joe and I arrived home at a little after 10 PM last night. Tired, but satisfied. Oh yeah, it's a 52!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 52-fan; 04-19-2018, 07:11 AM.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

when you get 65 + years away from a truck's beginnings, you get lucky some times...GL w/ the ride

Comment

Congrats! Looks beautiful.
      Ronnie | Portland, OR

1959 Studebaker Lark VIII Regal (Hardtop)

Comment

It will be a while before it is ready to drive. I have discovered several things that concern me. When I was unloading it I discovered this modification to the front axle. This appears to be the shaft from a bumper jack welded to the axle. I already knew it had a heavy rear end mounted. Anybody recognize it? It also has an extra gas tank hanging from the rear of the bed with an external filler. It has a very heavy rear bumper too. Apparently someone intended some heavy hauling.
        Attached Files
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Congratulations on the purchase, you saved me a ton of money. LOL Rear end looks like a generic dana 60, could have come from IH, Dodge, Ford or any of several other brands. Lamar

Comment

Wow - sweet acquisition there. I've always wanted a 52 pickup to sit alongside my 52 also. You are livin the dream now!

Comment

Originally posted by Michidan View Post
              Wow - sweet acquisition there. I've always wanted a 52 pickup to sit alongside my 52 also. You are livin the dream now!
              The dream would be better if I wasn't so broke. It will take time to recover from the purchase.
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

I think that front axle modification was designed to break through hedge rows in Normandy.

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
                  I think that front axle modification was designed to break through hedge rows in Normandy.
                  Development was a decade too late, but I like the way you think.
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Maybe the modification to the front axle was an attempt to convert to rack and pinion steering. Ha!
                    Mark L

Comment

Originally posted by Mark L View Post
                      Maybe the modification to the front axle was an attempt to convert to rack and pinion steering. Ha!
                      The "rack" is certainly solidly mounted.
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

I thought I had seen everything in under-vehicle repairs until I saw your picture of the welded-in bumper jack. Thanks for posting the picture. This is just an observation, not a criticism. I like your truck a lot! Good luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue 15G View Post
                          I thought I had seen everything in under-vehicle repairs until I saw your picture of the welded-in bumper jack. Thanks for posting the picture. This is just an observation, not a criticism. I like your truck a lot! Good luck with it.
                          Thanks. I guess, if it is not causing any problems, I'll leave the axle as is for now. Most people won't notice and I'm not worried about being concours correct.
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Neat '52 2R5; I have one and it was rescued from the fields on Colo. The jack you see is there for a reason that is, the reach rod has a tendency to bend over time and needs strength. I used a piece of angle iron straightened my rod the welded the angle iron to the rod. You may wish to reconsider removing the jack support part just make it neater by using angle iron instead. Chet445

Comment

Looks like you’ve got yourself a great truck! If you get it running, you’ll probably be able to enjoy it as it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X