Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Rear Motormount Cross Member

50 Champion w/OD

Is it possible to remove the clutch and bell housing without removing the cross member? It looks to be maybe spot welded in places. Seems like a real bear to rassle with this. Is the thing normally just bolted in place? Am I right to assume that if it is welded that previous clutch jobs maneuvered it around the cross member? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    1950 Champion
    1962 MGA

The Starter and Engine Oil Dipstick Tube must be removed first. Once the Trans. is removed, the Engine supported and the Rear Engine mount removed, it should be no problem to remove the Crossmember by unbolting it, then remove the Clutch Housing to replace the clutch.

This is all outlined in Detail in the 1950 Studebaker Shop Manual on Pg. 62 of the Clutch Section.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It sounds like, from your description, that the cross member has been spot welded in place. They are normally bolted in. The removal is covered by StudeRich. Chet445

Comment

there are spot welds on the cross member itself as it is two pieces welded together but as said above it should not be welded where it attaches to the frame
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
          there are spot welds on the cross member itself as it is two pieces welded together but as said above it should not be welded where it attaches to the frame

Yeah, I don’t know what the Studebaker owner ancestors were thinking. Both sides have bead welds along one side as well as 12 ga gussets to replace the rusted out ones. Amusingly it looks like grinding those welds might be a LOT easier than removing the eight attachment bolts. I’m guessing they are the original 68 yr old bolts. I will carbon date the encrusted rust. Won’t be surprised if this is not also 68 yrs old.
          1950 Champion
          1962 MGA

Comment

Working...
          X