Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank You Bob Palma

Bob,

Thank you for the great article in the most recent issue of Hemmings "Classic Cars." I enjoy learning alittle about your father and his distinguished career in the automobile business, especially with the Independents.
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

You're welcome, Don; 'glad you enjoyed it.

That's my 27th column for Hemmings Classic Car and in just five days, I've received more thumbs-up on it than any other! I barely scratched the surface of equally-interesting stories I could tell, but the column is limited to 4,000 characters, about 650 words, so that's all I could do.

Here's the '57 Pontiac Super Chief Catalina sedan from the rear in July 1957. I'm on the left. Note the blanked-off dual exhaust outlets; UGH!

(Click to enlarge)

Click image for larger version

Name:	palmafamilycarpics0005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	1720326
    Thanks again; much appreciated. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 04-17-2018, 04:20 PM. Reason: added pic
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I, too, enjoyed your reminiscing. My father, Walter Davis, also filled me with a lifetime of love and memories. It was he, a "Studebaker man," who passed on an admiration for the "lazy S." His last Studebaker was a Champ pickup he and my mom used regularly for gardening. I bought my Champ in his memory.
      I'm sorry for your loss, Bob. But look at all they gave us.
      Mike Davis
      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Bob, I enjoyed it too. Your articles are always well written, informative and entertaining. It is sad that your dad is now gone but you live with wonderful memories. Thank you for the article and for being part of our Studebaker community.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
          Bob, I enjoyed it too. Your articles are always well written, informative and entertaining. It is sad that your dad is now gone but you live with wonderful memories. Thank you for the article and for being part of our Studebaker community.
          You're welcome, Ed; thanks for your remarks. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Likewise, your column is the first I turn to when my issue arrives in the mail box. Always good, but I really enjoyed this one. I hope over time you can share more stories.

My Dad was a lifer for GM, (working from 1949-1982 when he took an early retirement rather than move us to Michigan after they closed the plant in Fremont, CA) and always drove the company product. I grew up with Chevys as a kid, but as he moved up in the company those turned into Oldsmobiles, and his last cars were Buicks. But his first car in the late 40's was a 1929 Studebaker that he always spoke fondly of, which planted the Studebaker seed. I always joke that when I was a kid the worst four letter F-word in my house was Ford. My Dad would have skinned me alive and disowned me if I had showed up with a Blue Oval product. I remember as a kid he took me on a tour of the plant and I was stunned when we drove into the employee parking lot and I saw cars that weren't GM cars parked there. I didn't think that was allowed, and I know my Dad didn't approve. He was very much of the mindset that you dance with the date that brought you to the dance.

I was a little nervous when I brought home a Triumph TR4 in my early 20's,(in the early 1990's) but he actually borrowed it a couple times and you could have knocked me over with a feather when a few months later he bought an MG as a hobby car.
            Dean Seavers
            Sacramento, CA

Comment

Hi Bob,
              l really enjoyed your article in Hemmings Classic Car magazine. I just read your article today. Your dad had an interesting, and fulfilling life and you seem to follow in his footsteps.
              Please continue to write such fascinating articles.
              You have a lot of fans out here.
              All the best,
              Rog
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
              X