Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for 232 V8 fuel pump or rebuild kit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for 232 V8 fuel pump or rebuild kit.

I am having trouble starting the 51 232 after it sits for a couple days. It starts with starter fluid. It starts fine if I start it everyday. Carb is rebuilt, choke is correct but the fuel pump is leaking around the gasket. It runs great once started. Thinking it might need some help with the fuel pump. I might be able to rebuild it but it has different bolts holding the gasket and it is oozing. This may be causing the hard start and not getting enough pressure. I think I am looking for Part 535701. Once started the glass globe and clear inline filter are full. Sorry, pic is a little blurry.
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Your best bet is to add an electric pump back by the gas tank and use it to prime the mechanical pump. That location for the pump was ideal for vapor locking.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Starting fluid has been credited with blowing out head gaskets. Be careful, or better yet, don't use it.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I use denatured alcohol -works great

Comment

Then and Now has the rebuild kits that are ethanol compatible. The rebuild is not too difficult, and they have very good instructions. Just remember to mark the sections, so they can be put back in the same place as original.
          Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

I sell New ones, but they are Custom Built and NOT Cheap.

Be aware that these '51 to '54 Pumps are AC Pumps, not Carter as '55-'64, if you order a Kit, the AC Part Number from the mounting Flange is required.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

What part of the mounting flange has the number? I cleaned the face and sides and do not see a number.
              62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

53k is right. I put one on mine and works great!

Comment

Yes, electric sounds a good way to go. I still need to fix the leak in my pump. Like to rebuild it. Looked up Now and Then. Just need to locate the number on the pump. Still attached to the engine.
                  62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by lelshaddai View Post
                    What part of the mounting flange has the number? I cleaned the face and sides and do not see a number.
                    It was on the face of the bottom edge, if I recall correctly?

Mark
                    sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

You guys amaze me by always bailing out and putting on electric fuel pumps. Over the last 40 years I’ve always kept my antiques with the original pumps, never had starting or vapor lock problems.....from early V8 Fords to Studebaker’s.

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                        You guys amaze me by always bailing out and putting on electric fuel pumps. Over the last 40 years I’ve always kept my antiques with the original pumps, never had starting or vapor lock problems.....from early V8 Fords to Studebaker’s.
                        Those POS aftermarket pumps leak oil after a few hundred miles...so a no brainer; toss the mechanical and replace with a reliable electric, no more oil mess!

Comment

The Part Numbers are on the EDGE of the Flange, not the back or front, and probably not visible on the Engine.

I have to agree with Tim, different strokes I guess. I throw away the Electrics when I buy a car that some non-Old Car understanding Owner has installed.

Bruce, you do not understand that these pumps are on the TOP of the Engine, so leak NO Oil.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That one shows me where the numbers are, thanks,
                            62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Working...
                            X