Hood openers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood openers

I saw a Facebook post from a Studie group from Australia, and one of the Hawks' hood had been reworked so that it opens from the rear. There are a couple of gas filled units attached to the sides and I'm guessing the edges of the hood were reinforced as well. I understand that it can be tricky, as the hood actually moves forward before it opens and that if the job is not done correctly there are kinks in the corners. That hood is so damn heavy that now when people want to see the engine I let them do the heavy lifting. What a dumb design. I guess they weren't going for the female buyer in those days.
    peter lee

I have plans to modify the hood hinge on my '64 GT Hawk so it will open forward vs. from the rear. There have been a couple guys that have done it and it makes a whole lot of sense to do it that way. I'm close to getting started on it ,but it will be a couple months before I actually get started. Alan in Australia sent me the drawings he used to make his on his '53, and I need to think them out before I start. I'll try to document all the steps involved and make them available to any that might be interested, so stay tuned, it will be happening. Bill

Comment

There was a guy in California that modified his hood to open the other way. There were many posts about it on this SDC Forum. A search should turn up several topics/threads. This is always subject to how good/descriptive of a title was used.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

A dumb design? I’ve owned many a Hawk in my younger years and never thought twice about opening the hoods.
        The hoods haven’t gotten any heavier, but maybe our desire to open them has decreased.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
          A dumb design? I’ve owned many a Hawk in my younger years and never thought twice about opening the hoods.
          The hoods haven’t gotten any heavier, but maybe our desire to open them has decreased.
          Will is strong but the body's weak.
          peter lee

Comment

Well, I can’t be talking too tough. In my current Studebaker world I have gravitated to 1961 and later Larks - featuring torsion rods to open the hood!

Comment

Once the Power Hawk is disposed of, all that will remain is the '55 Prez sedan and while that also opens from the front, it is a light weight as compared to the c/k hoods. No more heavy stuff for me!

Comment

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I guess I'll never understand the "why" of this....
                  Lou Van Anne
                  62 Champ
                  64 R2 GT Hawk
                  79 Avanti II

Comment

Sort of like adding suicide doors to a normal rig, eh?

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Won't fly open as 70 MPH breaking your windshield and blocking your vision.

Comment

I have a '53 Commander Starlight and a '56 Golden Hawk. The '53 hood is very easy to lift. The Hawk; another story. It is the grille, not the hood that is so heavy. If the grille is out, the Hawk hood lifts almost as easily as the '53.
                        Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                        '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                        '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

The grille assembly used in Gran Turismo Hawks is considerable lighter than the massive die cast zinc ‘56 - ‘61 grille - thus lifting a ‘62 - ‘64 Hawk hood is noticeably easier.

Comment

I agree. The hood just doesn't need to be lifted too many times.

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
                              ...What a dumb design. I guess they weren't going for the female buyer in those days.
                              I recall the days when women didn't raise their own car hoods. They didn't need to.
                              Men would happily and politely do it for them...and they wern't offended by the gesture.

Nowdays...women seem to be angry, and men confused.
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X