1949 Commander Gas Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1949 Commander Gas Tank

Still battling shop queen '49 Commander. I am afraid it wants a new gas tank this spring. Does any one have a very good gas tank for it. It really is a terrific, nice car and wouldn't mind actually driving it a bit (as opposed to wrenching on it a lot) pm me if you might have a lead on a super-rare item. Thanks all.

I don't know the parts numbers for 49, but I think the Champion might use the same tank.
    French Lake has a number of Studes from those years, but I never checked the gas tanks on the cars.

Comment

But save your old tank. It can be restored.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Here's where the chassis parts catalog comes into its own. That will tell you all the years and models that have the same tank.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
          Here's where the chassis parts catalog comes into its own. That will tell you all the years and models that have the same tank.
          Up to a point.
          The factory catalogs cover a specific number of years. Studebaker never changed a part number as far as I know; even if it was used in vehicles decades apart.
          The catalogs have a glossary by part number, and that part number sometimes appears in multiple catalogs.
          Having a collection of Turning Wheels is desirable but, having a collection of catalogs is, in the words of Keanu Reeves, "most excellent."
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

You will not find a lot of repetitive part numbers for 47-52 gas tanks. 47-48 probably don't fit because they redesigned the rear frame section, and also with the change of the spare tire well and trunk floor.
            KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
              In this case, the Hollander Interchange manuals should also be very helpful. Still found in your better library reference sections. May still have them at your old timey wrecking yards. They used to be "required" there.
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5220.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1720247

OK. My manual is 47-50 only. So it appears in these years Commander is the same as Champion. But 49 is different than 50. But will they fit? That's where Hollanders is useful. And I don't have anything on 51-52.
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Comment

50 champion and commander are the same but different than 49 ( I learned the hard way, it looks like it will fit but the filler location is enough different it will not bolt up) As the 47 did not have the spare sitting upwards, I think its tank is different than the 49 which had the spare sitting upwards and the tank mounts to the spare tire well. I have never pulled my 47 gas tank but it is on the list of projects for this year as I think it has some crap in it
                  Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                  1961 Hawk 4-speed
                  1967 Avanti
                  1961 Lark 2 door
                  1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I wonder what is different between 49 and 50 gas tanks?
                    When I was looking for my 50 tank, I was under the impression 49 was the same.

Comment

Uncle Miltie answered that directly above your post...
                      KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Comment

Working...
                      X