1953 or 1954 Studebaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 or 1954 Studebaker?

Can someone verify what year car I have. I have been told by my cousins that it was a '53 but others have told me it had to be a '54. The engine is gone but the little data plate on the driver's door pillar is still there and possibly someone on here could identify the year by these numbers. Someone has told me to post a picture but I have chopped the top and made several modifications that some members don't take a liking to. Here is a pic of the data plate, I also can post a picture of the little metal tag that is on the passenger side, on the cowl, under the hood if it would help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010014-001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1757603

I'd say 1953, South Bend 1953 serial numbers begin with 8290001 and 1954 begins with 8354901. Neither Los Angles or Canada had numbers with 83 beginnings.

Comment

Yes. South Bend produced 1953 Commander.
      If the body tag is still on the cowl, right side of the firewall under the hood, we can tell a lot more.
      If you are in Visalia with a Studebaker and don't know Bob Kabchef it is time to be weened.
      Last edited by rockne10; 03-31-2018, 11:06 PM.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by Cruzzar View Post
        ... Someone has told me to post a picture but I have chopped the top and made several modifications that some members don't take a liking to. ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71479[/ATTACH]
        We love photos, and many of us have modified Studes including myself...the SDC is not only for stock Studes. Cheers, Junior
        sigpic
        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

The grill and tail lights are different. The 54 has vertical bars in the grill and the taillight lenses are flat on a 53 and curved on a 54. The tail light bezeles look near the same but the 53 has 3 screws holes and the 54 has two. Mine is a Canadian model so the tag number wouldn't help any.

Comment

Looks like a nice custom. Studebaker did not build a wagon in '53, so it must be a '54 or later body. The front end sheet metal shown in your other post looks like it's from a coupe or hardtop. The sedan and wagon had a blunter, more bulbous nose on the hood, and the hood to grill surround seam was higher on the wagons and sedans. The grill surrounds look low, like coupe or hard top, not tall like the sedan and wagon.
            Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by Cruzzar View Post
              Can someone verify what year car I have. I have been told by my cousins that it was a '53 but others have told me it had to be a '54. The engine is gone but the little data plate on the driver's door pillar is still there and possibly someone on here could identify the year by these numbers. Someone has told me to post a picture but I have chopped the top and made several modifications that some members don't take a liking to. Here is a pic of the data plate, I also can post a picture of the little metal tag that is on the passenger side, on the cowl, under the hood if it would help.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71479[/ATTACH]
              The serial number of my 1953 Commander is 8333933. Looks like about 1925 bodies after yours. The final assembly date for mine was July 7, 1953 my third birthday.
              Gary Sanders
              Nixa, MO

Comment

Working...
              X