turner brake problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: turner brake problems

I purchased the Turner disk brake kit to install on my 53 champion. 4 wheel disk conversion some parts from turner some form parts houses. The instructions show taking a residual valve out of the master cylinder but it shows a one piece piston in the master cylinder. the Jeep master cylinders I have gotten have a two piece piston. am I missing something? I have had this on the car for some time and each time I take the car out the brakes heat up and then lockup in the rear.I bleed the rear calipers and they free up. I bought the Cadillac calipers from ebay rebuilt? Is this my problem bad calipers. about ready to take car to somebody else. thanks for any response.

Easiest thing to check, and most likely problem, is the pedal linkage. Back off the pedal linkage at the MC, to create about 1/4" to 3/8" of freeplay on the brake pedal. Measure the freeplay with fingertips, at the pedal pad. That way, you insure the MC is releasing all the way, instead of maintaining pressure in the lines. That pressure causes the brakes to drag, just enough to heat up and all but lockup, in a few miles.

Comment

Originally posted by michael welch View Post
      I purchased the Turner disk brake kit to install on my 53 champion. 4 wheel disk conversion some parts from turner some form parts houses. The instructions show taking a residual valve out of the master cylinder but it shows a one piece piston in the master cylinder. the Jeep master cylinders I have gotten have a two piece piston. am I missing something? I have had this on the car for some time and each time I take the car out the brakes heat up and then lockup in the rear.I bleed the rear calipers and they free up. I bought the Cadillac calipers from ebay rebuilt? Is this my problem bad calipers. about ready to take car to somebody else. thanks for any response.
      Have you talked to Jim Turner? He is very open and willing to help out folks work thru issues with installation of his kits. Sometimes he can be hard to get ahold of if he is traveling (he is very involved with a group that takes veterans to the memorials in Washington DC (think it's called Honor Flight?) but keep trying. He has been working with disc brake conversions on Studebaker for decades, he knows his stuff and is a really great guy.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Here's the method of removing the residual valve(s)
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

thanks for the pictures. have another mc and took the brass fittings out and this one doesn't have the rubber residual valves in it so will install and see if this works. talked to Jim Turner last night and this is what he told me what to do. wish me luck.

Comment

Originally posted by michael welch View Post
            thanks for the pictures. have another mc and took the brass fittings out and this one doesn't have the rubber residual valves in it so will install and see if this works. talked to Jim Turner last night and this is what he told me what to do. wish me luck.
            Guys, this should really be Step One. Jim is one of SDC's most conscientious vendors and deserves to be spoken to before another thread is named something like, "Turner Brake Problems."

It's not fair to Jim, or to any vendor, to open up the forum and see threads like this before being given the opportunity to help. Yes, he's a personal friend of mine, but what's fair is fair and Step One should always be to contact a vendor for help and then post cautiously if help is still needed.

Thanks. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

With some minor modifications to accommodate the Turner disc brake kit (which wasn't designed for a '51 Champion), I've been very happy with my Turner brakes and their excellent performance -- particularly around smarty-pants drivers who zip in and out of traffic and stop suddenly. It's a good investment in STOPPING when you NEED TO STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                Guys, this should really be Step One. Jim is one of SDC's most conscientious vendors and deserves to be spoken to before another thread is named something like, "Turner Brake Problems."

It's not fair to Jim, or to any vendor, to open up the forum and see threads like this before being given the opportunity to help. Yes, he's a personal friend of mine, but what's fair is fair and Step One should always be to contact a vendor for help and then post cautiously if help is still needed.

Thanks. BP
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                PSMCDR 2013
                Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Working...
                X