Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did Studebaker vehicles begin using open drive lines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did Studebaker vehicles begin using open drive lines?

I considered posting this question in the Technical Discussion - if that is the more appropriate venue, I'll be glad to move it there, or, the administrators may decide to do so.

I'm wondering when the automobile lines quit using the old torque tube and changed over to open drive lines - I've heard it called Hotchkiss Drive, not sure if that is technically correct. I'm gonna make a guess that the change occurred with the 1947 "Postwar" models. But, if it occurred earlier, I'd like to know when that change took place.

And, on the same subject, when did the light trucks make this change? Again, my guess would be the 1949 model year, as that was the first new Postwar truck

Thanks in advance for your responses.
    Last edited by tennessee_anomaly; 03-29-2018, 09:23 AM.

I don't know if Studebaker ever used a closed driveline, unless perhaps on the EMF-derived models with the rear-mounted transaxle. They were definitely using open drive lines in the pre-War era, both cars and trucks.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I was thinking the same thing as Gord. My 1937 Dictator has open drive.

Comment

My '33 is open.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

closed drive line was a big thing for chevrolet but it may be much more rare in a studebaker.

Comment

Once changed a tranmission in a 55 Buick,it had enclosed drive shaft.

Comment

My 62 Volvo PV544 has a closed 2 piece drive line.
              51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
              53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
              62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by kmul221 View Post
                Once changed a transmission in a 55 Buick,it had enclosed drive shaft.
                Yes, so did my first Car, a 1950 Chev. the whole Car was a Real "Piece of Work"! As in cheaply designed JUNK!

It had a "Ball Bearing" Transmission and a "Dip and Splash" no Oil pump 216 Engine, used all the way to 1953 without another "piece of work"; the Powerglide.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Yes, so did my first Car, a 1950 Chev. the whole Car was a Real "Piece of Work"! As in cheaply designed JUNK!

It had a "Ball Bearing" Transmission and a "Dip and Splash" no Oil pump 216 Engine, used all the way to 1953 without another "piece of work"; the Powerglide.
                  Makes me recall putting a Chevrolet six from a PowerGlide car into a 1953 standard shift car to get the "better' (oiling) engine.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by lelshaddai View Post
                    My 62 Volvo PV544 has a closed 2 piece drive line.
                    How can it be "closed" (enclosed) and also "2 piece"? Volvo used a differential/rear axle similar to Studebaker at that time. I owned a PV444. I remember it as having an open drive shaft (Is my memory incorrect on this - its only been five decades)?
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I do not recall any Studebaker branded vehicles having a torque tube drive. Perhaps someone that knows the prewar models better than I do can come up with an obscure one.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Rich, those 'early' Chevy's didn't have pressure lubrication to the lower end of the connecting rods, but they certainly had an oil pump!
                        Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                        '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                        '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Ford cars finally went to open drive in 1949.
                          But the pickup trucks had an open drive in 1947, maybe '46?

Comment

Chev was closed thru '54 inc. 1/2 T trucks, Buick thru '60 inc. 2pc in '58 Limited at least, Olds in early 50's, Ford & Merc thru 48, Rambler in 50's. The rest were open as far as I can remember. Early Chev had an oil pump to lube rocker shaft, 15 psi. max. -Jim

Comment

OK, not completely closed. My Volvo has a closed tunnel for the front driveline to a carrier bearing that has about 8 inches working opening to access the bearing and then closed again to the rear end.
                              51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
                              53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
                              62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Working...
                              X