Oil filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil filter

I've decided to have an oil change on my Sky Hawk it a newly rebuilt engine. I'm supposed to wait until 1k miles, then do the oil change, but if there are any problems I'd rather know about it as soon as possible. The mechanic has recommended Valvoline VR 1 racing oil, which I'll provide. Also, I'd like to get a high-grade oil filter.It's the screw-on type.
    peter lee

That oil, because it is labelled "racing oil" is exempt from the laws about ZDDP (and has ZDDP in it).
    It is good stuff.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I've always used the Napa Gold product line. Fram no longer has a good reputation. If you really want a lot of information, go to the website Bobistheoilguy.com

Comment

Is it the type that screw on upside down on top ? Or on the side underneath?
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
          Is it the type that screw on upside down on top ? Or on the side underneath?
          Upside down.
          peter lee

Comment

It is one of these, take your Pic, there are about 200 Usages and Mfg's.

Who says Studebaker Parts are Hard to find?

http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/Fram/PB50

Preferred by Most ALL of us would be: WIX 51050 or NAPA Gold: 1050.

From this Fresh Post:

NOTE: Please keep in mind though, that this Filter Base, Mounting and Element were ONLY used on 1958 to early 1962 Studebakers, NOT 1956 just for your originality INFO.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
              Upside down.
              Those are a restricted oil filter not a full flow so make sure of what your buying
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Post #5 all but proved it to be a Partial Flow, Top of Engine, Spin-on, PB-50 Type/Style, so no problem with the Filter replacement.

It would be a good idea however, to check for a Restriction in the Base or the Inlet Fitting of the Base.

Since this engine has been run quite a few Miles already it "SHOULD" be OK, if there has not been any serious Pressure loss.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 03-29-2018, 12:15 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My preference is the Wix 51050. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                    There are a lot of really good quality filter brands out there; currently common among them Wix and Hastings.
                    Being retired, I work part time at a shop that has specialized in high-end eurocars for the past 35 years and, when available, uses only Mann filters.
                    With all the brands available, it's probably a better idea to suggest which ones to avoid.
                    That Studebakers were factory equipped with Fram filters sixty or more years ago does NOT mean there are not better choices available today.
                    We have found that the issue is often not that one brand filters better than another, though that is a consideration, but that some brands simply seem to have reduced the filtering material, or internally collapse. Reduced filtering media is still better than no filter at all but, a collapsed element amounts to an impediment.
                    And, of course, for many decades they left the factory with no filters at all, oils were not as highly refined as they are today, and few traveled the distances vehicles do today; not to mention the fact that few of our "collector" vehicles are used as the daily transportation they were back when.
                    Review the link Rich provided in post#6, explore contemporary brand evaluations and make your choice.
                    Last edited by rockne10; 03-29-2018, 04:20 PM.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

VR1 is my choice for oil. According to a buddy of mine that works for NAPA, their filters are made by WIX. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
                      Wayne
                      "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                        Ditto.....!

Comment

Who said that that engine was original to that car??

Comment

Wix filters sold out to Mann & Hummel a couple of years ago.

Hastings sold out to Parker Hannefin a few years ago.

Champion Laboratories (Luber-finer/Champ) private label for a LOT of other companies. They sold out to The Rank Group a few years ago.
                            Fram filters sold out to The Rank Group a few years ago.

Filters are now brought in from all over the world.
                            Many offshore filters are of great qualty.
                            But how do you, as a consumer, know what is good or bad?
                            Be careful what you buy. Do your homework. Buy what you like.
                            But base it on current conditions and ongoing current reputation.

There are a lot of interchanges out there, but an interchange does not guarantee the bast filter.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Remember that there is a difference between an oil filter with a built in restriction orifice and a filter with an anti-drainback valve.

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                              Those are a restricted oil filter not a full flow so make sure of what your buying

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X