I am so pleased !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am so pleased !!

This past weekend a critical test has been performed on my 62 Champ with the 5 speed overdrive. Before it would run ok around town but overheat on the freeway after less than 5 miles. Not good at all. So, thanks to the forum I undertook cleaning out the block, removing all the core plugs (freeze plugs to many) & making the engine as spotless as one can on that rusted iron. I had the truck shipped out to the new home here in Arizona & replaced the fuel pump. (thanks Rich aka StudeRich) and was ready for the ultimate test, pulling my 500 gallon water trailer. Down to town for the water wasn't too much of a worry but coming back with a load, uphill was. It performed flawlessly! Even pulled better than I had expected !

One other thing I did to the truck was making a bracket to add support to the unused firewall bracket to support the cab. The doors were getting real hard to close due to their misalignment & the "A" pillar sagging. Floor had some surface rust but was pretty solid so additional support was required. I took some 1/2 flat stock, bent a 90 degree angle to it & drilled with it in position through the bracket & in through the frame. 2 5/16ths by 2 1/2" locking bolts was the perfect length. Nowe my doors close once again like it just rolled off the line.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

WOW! A Major Score times THREE! Glad you got er done Warren!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

not for any other reason but for questioning: is it advisable to mount the T-cabs to their frames as done above like the Larks ??

Comment

I bet you feel as relieved as I do about getting this year's taxes done & filed before the 1st of April!!!

My wife stated that since I retired, I should be very grateful I no longer have to submit all those justifications, and spend days pouring over receipts, and dealing with CPA'S like I used to. My response was that the emotion of, disgust and stress, over the process, is still the same, even if it is much simpler. But...when completed, the joy is just as good too!

As for your job, if you are anything like I am, it is the fear of the unknown, what could go wrong, that makes you hesitate to tackle the task. Only, to find that diving into the work, and getting 'er done, was never as bad as you had imagined.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Nice one Warren!

Does that firewall bracket trick work on Lark sedans, I wonder?

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
            Nice one Warren!

Does that firewall bracket trick work on Lark sedans, I wonder?
            That firewall bracket is FOR Lark body styles, so your Lark left South Bend with the body and frame attached there as intended.

Comment

That's a question I also wonder about Jack. My Champ is gonna get some re work for the same Cowl shake/sag,but thought I'd just go considerably heavier with Floor Panel gauge and reinforce needed areas like there is no Tomorrow ! I don't know if mounting the front would cause stress on the Cab when the Frame Rails move and twist ?

Originally posted by jackb View Post
              not for any other reason but for questioning: is it advisable to mount the T-cabs to their frames as done above like the Larks ??
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                That firewall bracket is FOR Lark body styles, so your Lark left South Bend with the body and frame attached there as intended.
                Ha! Yeah, silly question now that I re-read it

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Was that a T5 conversion you put in your Champ?
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I think that Champ has the Factory New Process H.D. 5, O.D.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich is correct. It has the factory equipped New Process trans. I now need to register both 62 Champs for the "Fun Run" held in Seligman every May. Gives a purpose for the front license bracket now sitting empty since they both lost their California plates.
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                      X