Solved horn not working issue in 1952 Champion by doing this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Solved horn not working issue in 1952 Champion by doing this

After reviewing responses to an earlier posting regarding how to restore a horn to working, I decided on the the following successful solution.
    Removed the horn cover from the steering wheel with a hex wrench. You'll see the push button sticking out in the middle of the steering column.
    Carefully pry this push button out with the surrounding spring. Cut the wire below the button & remove the spring. The wire may look frail but can be salvaged
    by wrapping with electrical tape while splaying the end of the wire. Next, I attached this wire to one of the polls on a push button wall switch used
    for a garage door opener(YES!). This is the + pole. To other neg pole attach a wire from this pole to bare metal on then steering column which will be the ground wire.
    Meanwhile, disconnect the 2nd black black wire attached to the relay coming from the horn. Push the button and the horn should sound. I taped the new switch to the steering
    wheel with duct tape then replaced the horn cover on on the steering wheel column. Now, I'm ready for an inspection as the horn must function. This is the easiest
    solution to this issue.
    UPDATE: Passed inspection

Barry Woltag
    Austin, Texas
    Last edited by Barry Woltag; 03-27-2018, 07:43 AM.

So...you have a remote control horn??? I guess as long as it passes safety inspection, it will do for a start.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

In 1970 when I was in El Paso, Texas, I owned a 1961 Corvan, and to pass state inspection I fastened a brass squeeze bulb horn to the outside mirror. I had to argue with the inspector that it never said the horn needed to be electrically operated. I passed.

Comment

A simple under dash push button, like a starter button, bypassing the column will achieve the same thing.

Comment

A small piglet, and a pair of pliers would work well, too.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
          X