Engine ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine ID

A spare engine came with my Stude. I looked in the registry and don't see the ID... V469104. The car has a 289 with a 4 speed in it and I believe the spare is what was in the car before it got swapped out. The guy I got it from thought it to be a 259. Anybody know how to decipher the digits I would appreciate know whats in the garage. :-) Thanks

Looks like it's a 259 out of a 1960 Lark 60V.
    You can find the info by going to the top of this page "Studebaker Drivers Home Page"
    Go to "Resources"
    Scroll down to "Tech tips, Specs and Data"
    Scroll to "UPDATED, Studebaker V8 engine identification"
    South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Thanks, that makes sense, its a 1960 Lark. I also have 3 3speed trans, 1 has the overdrive unit. I haven't been able to do much with the car since I got it, weather in Cleveland hasen't been kind. I still haven't IDed the engine in the car... told it was a 289 out of a Gran Tourismo, going be fun when the weather warms up and can

Comment

From engine numbers 56 and newer, "P" a 289 and "V" is a 259.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
          From engine numbers 56 and newer, "P" a 289 and "V" is a 259.
          Always worth mentioning, the block serial number indicates how an engine was originally built and in what it was installed. After sixty-seven years, the V8 could have any CASO combination of parts inside. I was once sold a 289" with a 259" crankshaft inside, but original 289" pistons. That probably resulted in a 6:1 compression ratio. OTOH, with the number of performance engines built over the years, occasionally one with a lot of good stuff inside shows up unannounced.

jack vines
          Obsolete Engineering Division
          of Mager Engine
          PackardV8

Comment

Working...
          X