Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes

I have been trying for a week now to get the rear drums off of my '60 lark. I have a good heavy duty puller that I have used many times to pull drums. I have never had one I could not get off until now. Short of putting heat on them does anyone know of a good penetrating oil or have any suggestions to get these drums off. I have used a heavy hammer to beat on the puller. Thanks for your help.

I had a Champ truck here awhile ago That I could not get the hubs to budge , I resorted to heat , It did not take much . But when they let go Kapow , It kind of startled me how loud that 3/16" movement was , Ed

Comment

Are you using a drum puller or a hub puller? The drum comes off along with the hub, and you'll ruin the drum with a drum puller
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Using a hub puller.

Comment

Put the Axle Nut back on to protect the threads and prevent the Drum flying off, if you have an Air Impact Wrench rapping on the Puller Screw helps, also tightening the Puller and leaving it Overnight soaked with PB Blaster, Marvel Mystery Oil or other Penetrant and it MIGHT come off the next Day or already have "Popped"!

Have you tried loosening the Brake Adjuster Star Wheel ALL the way?
          Also check for slack in the "E Brake" Cable, so you know that is backed off or loosen it.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Another trick that sometimes helps is to tighten one lug nut another turn or two. This puts a slight distortion in the hub and allows it to pop. Sometimes it works even!
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
            X