Axle broke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Axle broke

I got my 1940 President out for a little exercise and the left axle broke. It broke about one foot from the splined end next to the differential gears. I don't know why it broke but I'm looking for advise on how to remove the short piece still inside. I don't want to tear apart more than needed nor do I want to waste time trying to do it in an impossible manner. This is my first time for any axle repair work. I will need an replacement axle for the left side if any one has one to sell.

Ken Robinson
    Indiana PA.

Odd place to break. Might try removing bearing and, assuming end is clean, put JB Weld on it and see if you can stick the ends back together . Leave it about 2 days and see if you can fish it out. A retieving magnet would just glom onto the tube. Good Luck!

Comment

How about a length of broomstick or a long dowel about the same diameter. Take some stainless lock wire (the stuff that you use to tie cross drilled bolt heads to keep them from loosening -- used a lot in aircraft, and in really old cars; here is a link from Harbor Freight: https://www.harborfreight.com/0041-i...coil-8895.html) and thread it thru a hole drilled crossways in the end of the broomstick. Make a loop in the lock wire that will easily go over the axle end. When you the loop over the axle end, start twisting the broomstick handle and the wire will tighten around the axle. Pull the broomstick handle and axle out.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I would not worry about spending time to fish it out. Remove the backing plates and bearing retainers on both sides and 'bump' it from the other side. You will want to look at the other side anyway and likely check the axle bearings / end play and brakes anyway to be sure it does not happen again.

Comment

I was surprised to have it break where it did. It was fortunate it that the wheel stayed on so there was no body damage and I could tow it the 1 block to my house. It is a very flat break but I can't see the cause or a crack as the ends rubbed against each other and wiped out any visual evidence. Some fishing will need to be done to get the piece out of the axle tube no matter what I do. Can the ring gear assembly be removed without screwing up the setting if the shims are replaced in there original locations? I have even thought of removing the axle and standing it on end and hope the piece will fall out. That would be a lot of disassembly though and may not work.

Ken

Comment

Sorry, I lost you I thought the rest was easy. Once it is out of the Carrier, wrap a decent magnet around a decent (stout) size gauge wire or steel stock, all thread, etc. Wrap some cardboard around that so it can only stick to what is in front of it and push it inside the tube to grab it out. There is also a professional one you can buy that has a special 'collar' on it so it does not stick to anything on the way in. I have a Matco Tools brand, there are others.

Comment

A piece of PVC pipe long enough and big enough diameter to slip over the axle stub.
              A good magnet on a stick or piece of stiff wire inside the PVC.
              Pull the PVC, magnet and stub out at the same time.
              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

The magnet and PVC pipe idea sounds like one that may do the job. I might even have the pipe I need.

Ken

Comment

Once you get the axle removed, Drop the drain plug (hard to see, but its on the bottom) and measure the oil. If it is chunky or just low, you''l want to drop the cover and spray it down with brake clean a bit. Look for discolored gears, bearings, etc. before you put a new axle back in. If a bearing froze, it may explain how the axle broke.

Comment

I took the back cover off and removed the other axle. All the bearings and gears look good. I removed the inner seal and was able to get a piece of thin wall PVC pipe with some thin foam material taped around the inside of the pipe end. The axle piece came out easily. I am cleaning things up and preparing to repack the bearings and put new oil I when the new axle arrives. "Eleanor" will be back on her feet for Easter. Thanks for the advise and ideas I received here.

Ken

Comment

I would recommend that you consider changing the other axle as well. Based on where it broke may be a good indicator of the car having "jumped" something in its life and took a hard drop. The majority of the weight is on the wheel bearing, however, there is still a bending force on the axle shaft. I could also be from sitting for many years in the same position. Gravity can cause the same thing on a weak old axle.

This could be a classic cause of "dis-use being harder on a car than mis-use"....
                      Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                      1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Working...
                      X