Long and short nosed starters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long and short nosed starters

I have my electrical sorted out but the engine will not turn over. I narrowed it down to the starter or solenoid. I jumped the solenoid to the starter and got major sparks and no spin. Lead me to believe it is the starter. I pulled the starter and when I turn the key to start it there is no power to the lower section of the solenoid going to the starter, is that normal? Isn't this just a high voltage switch? Could the solenoid be bad? I went to bench test the starter with an extra battery I had. It only had 12.4 volts. The starter did spin but did not pop up. Granted the wires were smaller gauge and did heat up. I have an extra starter from a 57 289. It has a shorter nose. will this work on the 51 232? It is 12v negative ground.

Thoughts?
    Jim
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Go here for info on starter nose lengths: https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...s/starter.html
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Jim, the FIT of V8 Starters is not about the Engine size, it is about either '51-'55 6 Volt vs '56-'64 12 Volt (due to flywheel teeth size) AND more importantly, Standard or Automatic Trans.

Yes Autolite/Prestolite ('62-'64) vs Delco ('51-'61) do look different and are, but they interchange.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Update: I took both the starters apart. The 12v on the 232 was rubbing against the big magnets probably shorting. I used the end cap and bushing washer from the 57 and put it back together. So far it is working. I will need to find another starter for the 57 289 but it will be awhile before I get to that engine.
        Thanks again for the input, it always helps. I do try to search these things first in the forum but I must not use the correct words.
        Jim
        51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
        53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
        62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

If you armature is rubbing the field magnets the bushings on the end plates are shot. There must be an auto electric repair shop somewhere close by that can rebuild your old starter.

Comment

Working...
          X