Studebaker showroom building being restored in Philly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker showroom building being restored in Philly

Ran across this today. This showroom was shown not long ago in a photo on the Studebakers in Americana thread. Nice to see the Studebaker sign back and prominent on North Broad St. The writer, an architectural critic for the Philadelphia Inquirer, implies that Studebaker's fortunes were in decline in the late 30's. Disagree with that--late 50's yes. Anyway, I hope you can pull up the article
    Last edited by 60ragtop; 03-20-2018, 11:28 AM. Reason: more info

That is really cool, I wish them a lot of luck making it as much as possible like it once was, it DOES have some serious History!
    It is amazing that after that Giant Neon Studebaker was removed in the 70's, they were able to find it and it's now back up.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Very tastefully redone. Hope they have good luck with it. Now it just needs a Studebaker sitting in front of it.

Comment

This is great. It's a nice looking building that deserves to be preserved, sign included.
        Rog
        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
          Very tastefully redone. Hope they have good luck with it. Now it just needs a Studebaker sitting in front of it.
          I would hope and expect some members of the Jersey, Delmarva and/or Keystone Chapters will see that that happens!
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Kudos to Mr. Blumenfeld for his efforts to restore that former Studebaker dealership building. Additional kudos for 'remaking' the large vertical Studebaker sign. It is obviously a 'copy' of the original, but well done. stupak

Comment

Cool article, thanks for sharing!

Comment

What a great building to restore and make viable again. Love that great sign that graced the building for 50 years.
                sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

There is also the Packard Building in Philly!

Dan White
                  64 R1 GT
                  64 R2 GT
                  58 C Cab
                  57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Originally posted by Dan White View Post
                    There is also the Packard Building in Philly!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packar...ation_Building
                    And it's just down the street from the Studebaker building! There's actually another Packard building in downtown Philly located at the corner of 15th and Chestnut Sts., (one of my uncles was a traffic cop there for years) but I don't think it has or had anything to do with the Packard Motor Car Co. The Studebaker building was the site of the Harry Krouse dealership and I seem (???) to remember Studes running around the Philadelphia area in the early 50s with Harry Krouse dealership ads or tags on the trunk handles

Comment

History is being preserved in all of its splendor, gentlemen! This represents a recurring phenomenon in American society where more and more Studebaker memorabilia is being preserved. From Nashville to Los Angeles, I have seen this!
                      Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Darn, I was just on Broad Steet the other day! Took the wife and sister-in-law to the Philly Flower Show. If I’d known about the Studebaker sign being replaced, I’d drive on up to see it.
                        I’m still a little bit nervous driving in the North Philly area. It was definitely “ the hood” back in the day.
                        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Working...
                        X