Starlight Storage Compartments Can Yield Surprises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starlight Storage Compartments Can Yield Surprises

The picture below shows what I found in the storage compartments of 3 different 50 Starlight Commanders. You never know what will be hiding in them. I bet there are some 47-52 Starlight owners whom have never looked in their compartments. In case you did not know, the starlights have what look like armrests in them but the lids raise via a hinge and you have lots of storage in them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2836.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1757513
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Great score, Milt
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

My parents had a Starlight coupe in 1951 and my mom told me she used to store baby milk bottles in them when we went on trips. She did not tell me what else she might have used them for but they sure were a great idea.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
        The picture below shows what I found in the storage compartments of 3 different 50 Starlight Commanders. You never know what will be hiding in them. I bet there are some 47-52 Starlight owners whom have never looked in their compartments. In case you did not know, the starlights have what look like armrests in them but the lids raise via a hinge and you have lots of storage in them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71126[/ATTACH]
        Thata's a bummer --- no full ones.
        Bill Jarvis

Comment

I had a 52 when I was around 18 and when us guys went “road Tripping” we always used my car , we could fill those armrests with beer and ice and no one would know ! I’m sure it wasn’t good for the car though .
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I remember years ago someone telling me they found a gun in their starlite arm rest.
            Mike Sal

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
              I had a 52 when I was around 18 and when us guys went “road Tripping” we always used my car , we could fill those armrests with beer and ice and no one would know ! I’m sure it wasn’t good for the car though .
              That is what they were made for I thought. There were weep holes on the bottom to allow water from melting ice to drain out.
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

We used a plastic bag as a liner. Since the car was just over 20 years young at the time we decided we didn't need water finding its way into wherever it decided to go. Studes already had a reputation for rust. I would never condone such reckless behavior now, though...

Comment

Again...Studebaker: Ahead of its Time!
                  Mike Davis
                  1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Were any of those bottles full when you found them?

Comment

Was the armrest storage just a coupe dealie or did the two door sedans have them too?
                      1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                      1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                      1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                      1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                      1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                      1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Originally posted by DougHolverson View Post
                        Was the armrest storage just a coupe dealie or did the two door sedans have them too?
                        Sedans did not. Starlight exclusive. As well as the center rear armrest in 1953. It is hinged in the front. Click image for larger version

Name:	P3200294.JPG
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1719970 In the earlier models there is no center armrest but both sides are storage. Click image for larger version

Name:	P3200295.JPG
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1719971 And neither have drainage holes; though it would be a simple fix.
                        Last edited by rockne10; 03-20-2018, 03:36 PM.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Four years ago when I was looking at a 50 Starlight in St. Paul, the owner was surprised when I lifted the lid to look inside. He didn't know his car had this feature. That was a decent rust free Champion Starlight that I could have bought for about 5K, and I should have. I wonder where it went?

Comment

The new(er) Ram crew cab pickups have two storage compartments in the floor behind the front seats.
                            Great storage, and unobtrusive. Waterproof, too.
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

In 1976, after graduating from HS, I drove my '51 Commander from Seattle to visit my buddy at college. Since the drinking age in Canada was 18, we drove the Studie up across the border and stashed a half rack of beer in those compartments. I'm sure we looked guilty at the border, but the beers made it across!

Comment

Working...
                              X