Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dead Champion 4-doors going up in value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Champion 4-doors going up in value?

It would appear so!

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    Well there is a running (off a gas can for now and electric fuel pump) 1947 Champion 4 door that has decent interior no rust except a small surface spot. Last time I talked I could bring a trailer and pick it up for $500.00. Converted to 12 volt with alternator needs TLC on the overdrive etc etc. It is in a small town hour south of Tucson.

Bob Miles
    Different by Design, Different by Delight!

Comment

Hey Bob... That sounds like a sales pitch.
      sals54

Comment

Yes people seem to want a lot of money, because it's 'old or collectible'. Some of them would make great projects, but even if they were given to you, the cost of a restoration is not feasible. Here is one that has been for sale around Salt Lake City for a while.https://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/51461748
        Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

It has the battery hold down, so it's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
            Hey Bob... That sounds like a sales pitch.
            Thanks Sal but I am far from a salesman. If I had wanted it I would have it in my backyard. If I brought it home, wife of 37 years would probably have me living it the car. Since the interior has nice but not authentic seats, it would be ok.

Bob Miles
            Different by Design, Different in Delight!

Comment

Yeah.. just joshin ya. Two things I've noticed lately regarding these cars:
              One. The 47-49 body style is gaining ground on the bullet nose for acceptance. I believe its due primarily to the fact that its NOT a bullet nose. Those have been done to death and hot rodded to death.
              Two. I think the body lines of a 4 door of that era is being recognized for it aesthetics over all other 4 door cars of the era. I would rather have a 47 Champion 4 door than a Stude 2 door sedan of the same era. In fact, I would rather have the 47-51 4 door sedan Studes than any other 4 door car of the 50s.
              The two door sedan is rather 'clunky' looking in its design and I can't fathom how or why it was ever built. It's just plain ugly. (sorry 2 door sedan owners)
              The four door cars look sleeker, for a four door, and the suicide rears just add to the panache. There are still plenty of folks who are unfamiliar with the four door cars and the suicide rears, and that adds to the mystique of them at car shows.
              I had often considered a 4 door 47 with the top chopped off, windshield cut down to about 8 inches tall, and a removable Carson top added to it without posts, and window-less on the sides. There is a 54 4 door sedan done with this treatment still cruising around. It has come up for sale a couple of times. It's really coooool looking and very well done. A similar treatment on a 47 would be very cool as well.
              sals54

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                Yes people seem to want a lot of money, because it's 'old or collectible'. Some of them would make great projects, but even if they were given to you, the cost of a restoration is not feasible. Here is one that has been for sale around Salt Lake City for a while.https://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/51461748
                Note that this one has the "rare Continental engine"
                Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                50 Champion 2 door*
                53 Commander K Auto*
                53 Commander K overdrive*
                55 President Speedster
                62 GT 4Speed*
                63 Avanti R1*
                64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                  It has the battery hold down, so it's worth it.
                  In addition to knowledgeable and respectable car enthusiasts... there's always "Dreamers & Schemers"...in this instance, perhaps both. But, it is not lost on me that this particular car has the factory "Turn Signal" grille bars. Probably the most scarce and valuable parts of this vehicle.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Vehicle description says it has the original 6 cycle engine. Did Studebaker have some top secret engine designs that got snuck into a production vehicle that I'm not aware of?
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I guess my idea of high priced differs from others on the forum. I'm wondering why approx $2000 for a complete essentially rust free four door is expensive particularly when all the parts are there and in good nick. If somebody wants to build a four door that's not a bad car to start.

Personally, I'd rather have the 49 from St Louis as it appears to be all there and quite rust free also. When all the parts are there and the owners include OBO than the price is negotiable.

Would anyone what to restore them, probably not as there's little value when finished but as a base for a distinct driver there's a lot to start with in the area of $2000.

Bob

Comment

I agree with Bob, that if it's rust free, it doesn't look out of line for a driver car.
                        I'd paint it, throw a Mexican blanket over the seat and drive it.
                        I could use that battery hold down. I don't understand why them and the jacks are always missing.

Comment

Anyone lookin' for a solid Bullet Nose? I have a running, driving '50 Champion (4 door) that I rescued from a local ranch. Excellent running car. Please PM me or email at brngarage@gmail.com. Thanks Howard.
                          Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                          '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                          '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                          '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Having been to Sal's I can understand his fetish for
                            " the top chopped off"
                            . His '56 Wagon with a Lark wagon roof is amazing and should have made it to production.
                            Keep making this hobby interesting.
                            Cheers, Bill

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X