Remembering the Last Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering the Last Studebaker

It's March 17th 2018, and 52 years ago today the last Studebaker rolled off the Hamilton, Ontario line. It was filmed and recorded by CHCH-TV news reporter Jim Bay, who had this to say on the occasion.

"Studebaker is no longer in the business of manufacturing automobiles. The last Studebaker rolled off the assembly line in Hamilton this morning. The time was 8 o'clock, on the day that all Irishmen remember, March 17th, and the day that few employees of the sprawling Hamilton plant will forget. This year alone, the company turned out more than 8,000 units for the domestic and export markets. The end of production comes exactly 108 years after the first vehicle, a Conestoga wagon, was turned out by Studebaker in 1858. At the same time car production ground to a halt today, Studebaker gave assurances that parts production and an international network of service centers would continue to look after Studebaker owners in the years to come. This is Jim Bay, Channel 11 News."

Determination had already been made that the last Studebaker would be preserved and given to the City of South Bend, along with the company's historical collection. Unfortunately, no other units were kept for clean-up work following the close, and this vehicle ended up being considerably used for the next year or so; in fact 18,000 miles worth of use. Not really knowing what to do with this car, South Bend put it in storage. When Century Center opened in South Bend in 1977 it was hoped that car would be included in the Studebaker historical display. But it didn't happen.

Fast forward to the 80s, when SDC Ontario Chapter member Denton Wright learned that the last Studebaker was in storage in the basement of Gates Chevrolet in South Bend. So Denton and I did a personal inspection and found to our dismay that the years had taken a serious toll. In fact, sunlight streaming in from a basement window had virtually destroyed the upholstery.

Enter the late Phil Brown from the Michiana Chapter, who approached me to determine the likelihood of raising sufficient money to preserve this car. We immediately went to work and in a short time were able to tap the generosity of many SDC members for the funding. Phil Brown, with the help of Max Gretencord, put together a team of members in South Bend and were able to return this iconic Studebaker to its original condition when it rolled off the Hamilton assembly line in 1966.

As SDC members are aware, the last Studebaker is displayed for posterity in the Studebaker National Museum, and its upkeep is proudly sponsored by the Hamilton Chapter of SDC. An accompanying plaque recognizes those who provided the financial support for its preservation.

Stu Chapman

I clearly remember this day back in 1966 as I heard the news on the radio while driving my Powerhawk from Fort McNair in Washington, DC to Fort Myers in Arlington, VA prior to my separation from the Army a few days later. It was an ordinary day to me as it was prior to my becoming addicted to the Studebaker brand but the seeds for such were planted several weeks prior when I purchased the car from my neighbor back in RI for a measly $300 for transportation in the ensuing transition to civilian life which would begin in the DC area for the remainder of 1966.

Following separation, I took a position with the prime contractor for NASA's NIMBUS weather satellite program at the Goddard Space Flight Center in nearby suburban Maryland. Within that time period, I would replace the tires and install seat belts. Also during this time period, I would find notes under the windshield wipers asking if the car was available for purchase. I have to admit, that the old Hawk was growing on me!

For the years immediately following the purchase of this car, it would remain an "outside" vehicle in that it was not garaged. Finally in 1975, I found a garage in RI to house it and my spare parts collection. I ended up renting three stalls of which one was for the Power Hawk, a 1963 Avant R-1 and the parts stash. The cars would remain in RI while I worked several contracts abroad. Later in the early 1990's, I moved to Texas and the cars followed me. I sold the Avanti in 1993 but the hawk remained.

Now I'm down to a single storage unit in Texas until it is sold. Soon it will be time for it to go to another owner having just over 90K on the odometer. It's a survivor and has been a great ride!

Comment

Thank you, Stu for your memories. It must have been an emotional day for you, not just seeing the end of Studebaker vehicle production, but also the impact on your personal employment. Bad enough to see your co-workers losing their jobs, but when it's your own pay cheque ....
      Bill Jarvis

Comment

I want to say Thanks, also. The details are interesting, especially the news broadcast. In 1992, I was working at an underground mine in Montana. We all went into the mine in the morning and put in our day, drilling, mucking, and shooting new rounds. When we came out that afternoon to clean up, the mine manager was waiting at the door, and informed us all that we were having a meeting. We went into the dry house, and he told us " this is your last shift here, the mine is no longer in operation". It had been running for almost 60 years, and it was quite a blow, for all of the employees, and their families. It only employed around 200 people, so it was a much smaller scale than South Bend, or Hamilton, but I certainly know how those families and employees felt that day.
        Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

This photo was taken the shift before by a fellow employee, I was fortunate enough to buy this original photo from him and get to listen to his story’s . After leaving Studebaker he became a professional photographer Click image for larger version

Name:	71382F2D-7803-4A7A-8E81-5B848BCC9451.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	1719936
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I looked up what day March 17, 1966 was, it was a Thursday.

While I am within a few years of retirement now, on Thursday March 17, 1966 I was in the later months of kindergarten. I truly have no memories of Studebaker shutting down. At the time I was more concerned with my father's efforts in finding more track connectors for my American flyer train set, that's what I remember. AC Gilbert collapsed around the same time as Studebaker.

Jeff T.
            \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
            The Replacements.

Comment

Question for Stu, who would probably know better than anyone; was that the last car produced? Or the last Studebaker produced? I've heard there were actually a few trucks that rolled off the line later that week, or next.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                Question for Stu, who would probably know better than anyone; was that the last car produced? Or the last Studebaker produced? I've heard there were actually a few trucks that rolled off the line later that week, or next.
                It was the last Studebaker. We hadn't produced trucks in Hamilton for the last few years.

Stu Chapman

Comment

I was in high school. I drove a beautiful 1955 Commander that my dad had fixed up. And yet, the news that Studebaker had shut down automobile production went by like a whisper. We were Studebaker people but dad did not say a word that day. I was unaware it had even happened until almost a year later when I noticed that Frost and French wasn't selling new Studebaker's anymore. I asked dad what happened. He broke the news to me. I was shocked. No more new Studebakers. What on earth would I drive in the future? I was depressed for a week. I have gotten over it now, but I still drive a Studebaker (two in fact).
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I was 11 years and 1 week old that day. I remember the dealer ads offering deep discounts in the newspaper and my folks discussing pro's and con's of buying a Studebaker. Mom really liked the Wagonaire with the sliding roof, but they bought a Ford Custom 500 sedan instead.

Comment

I have a question for Mr. Chapman: How did the last Studebaker end up in the Gates Chevrolet dealership in South Bend? I remember when South Bend production shut down, Chuck Naugle relayed the information that the City of South Bend had "dumped" all the Studebaker police cars and other city vehicles within six months. He was a bit miffed about that. Phoenix still had some 1961 Larks running around as city use cars as late as 1971.

Bob Miles
                      Different by Design, Different by Delight!

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                        I have a question for Mr. Chapman: How did the last Studebaker end up in the Gates Chevrolet dealership in South Bend? I remember when South Bend production shut down, Chuck Naugle relayed the information that the City of South Bend had "dumped" all the Studebaker police cars and other city vehicles within six months. He was a bit miffed about that. Phoenix still had some 1961 Larks running around as city use cars as late as 1971.

Bob Miles
                        Different by Design, Different by Delight!
                        Sorry Bob, but I have no idea. It's possible that Max Gretencord might know, or maybe Andy Beckman.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Stu, thanks for the true story of the last Studebaker that came off the line in Hamilton. I had no idea that it was as complicated as it was. To answer the person who thought that Studebaker was still building trucks, the truck line closed down when South Bend closed down, along with Avantis and Hawks.
                          Rog
                          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                          Smithtown,NY
                          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Stu, speaking of trucks, were there ever any Champ pickups produced in the Hamilton plant?

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff T. View Post
                              I looked up what day March 17, 1966 was, it was a Thursday.

While I am within a few years of retirement now, on Thursday March 17, 1966 I was in the later months of kindergarten. I truly have no memories of Studebaker shutting down. At the time I was more concerned with my father's efforts in finding more track connectors for my American flyer train set, that's what I remember. AC Gilbert collapsed around the same time as Studebaker.

Jeff T.
                              We are the same age as I was in kindergarten as well when Studebaker closed in Hamilton. And, I lived just east of there in the Niagara Peninsula. So while I don't remember the plant closing I do remember people talking of the Studebaker plant years later. I had neighbours who worked at McKinnnons in St. Catharines who, as we all know, made the engines for the Hamilton built cars once Studebaker engines were used up.

Thanks Stu for sharing your memories of that day.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X