Wall Hawk takes to the sky!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall Hawk takes to the sky!

Some years ago, I acquired the left side of a 1956 Sky Hawk with the intention of making it into an "art installation". The body was headed to the crusher because it had been way too rusty and "repaired" with galvanized sheet and pop rivets plus inch-thick Bondo. The carcass was taking up too much room on the garage floor, so I finally hung it up this week. Don't cry about lost, valuable Studebakers - this one was too far gone to save.

I used my Sawzall to skinny it down to about 15" deep and attached a couple of chains high on the beltline. A small come-along was used to gradually move up each end along the side wall of the garage. I think the thing weighs about 200-250 lbs with the door and rear fender installed. Anyway, it hangs there now to remind me of the two-tone green 1953 Commander Starliner hardtop I had back in 1962-64. It now shares garage space with my two Wagonaires, the Indy car replica, and a trailer made from an M5 bed.

Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

It's nice to get something off the floor and out of the way. Looks good, too!
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I've seen lots of fronts and rears, never a side. I like it!
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

I did the same thing with a Volvo Amazon ("122" in your country) that a friend bought burned out as parts car, it still hangs there. We used to share garage but I had to move, I also had MoPar Rallye Wheels to it but they're not there any more, to pricy these days.

Comment

Gary, now all You need is a Rim/Tire/Wheel Cover mounted to the Wall
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Only one question...if you do not want anyone to open that garage side window from the inside, are you simply going to lock the car's door? Looks good

Comment

It appears to have a flared wheel opening.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes, Gary L., the rear fender and door are random swap meet parts from unknown cars. You can see in the topmost photo that the $10 price tag is still on the fender - it's full of rust holes, too.
                Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                '48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard
                web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

I like it! It's a great use for 'unusable' parts.
                  Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Super cool. Swing the door open if you want more light. A fin would be nice too, but I guess the stairs are in the way.

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
                      * Anyway, it hangs there now to remind me of the two-tone green 1953 Commander Starliner hardtop I had back in 1962-64.
                      Hey Gary, That's so Cool! To bad you didn't have the paint in those colors or a '53 - '55 door to use with it. I guess you can always change that, given that you have the opportunity and the desire?

Mark
                      sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Working...
                      X