Relief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relief

For those of you who followed my long sad story about having to have my 289 rebuilt, I got some relief. I emailed the company at how dissatisfied I was with the slow service to get a leak fixed, and got a rather nasty and grammatically-challenged letter from the owner reminding me that it took so long because there were so many issues with the engine. While I don't dispute this, still, the shop is obviously both too small and understaffed to do the job in a timely fashion. The relief part came when i was told that the leak was a "pre-existing condition" and therefore not covered by the three-year warranty which really only covers the short block. This means that i can have my regular mechanic deal with it and not have to wait till I'm too old and dangerous to wait for the engine shop to get around with it. I'll have to have the oil changed when I have a thousand miles on the new engine, but I've been assured that I need only give them two days advance notice and I can wait for it. I was also told that the oil should have that "glossy/marbled" look to it, but absolutely no metal particles. that probably won't be till late summer, so we'll see.
    peter lee

If you've had that many problem with them Peter, then I would have a sample of the oil inspected by a lab to make sure there are not any gremlins hiding in the rebuild.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

IIRC, your leak is red fluid. As others mentioned in you other thread, red oil means transmission or power steering leak. Of course a PS leak would not be related to the motor rebuild. The tranny, if leaking at front seal is not part of a motor rebuild either. But, as mentioned before, any competent mech woulda replaced that seal while the motor was out for rebuild. It will now cost a lot of labor, to replace the $10 seal

Comment

Working...
      X