Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bit by the walking clutch throw out bearing levers - looking for new (or repaired) shaft for 61V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: bit by the walking clutch throw out bearing levers - looking for new (or repaired) shaft for 61V

Howdy-

I've got the tell-tale endless clutch adjustment blues, so I'm pretty certain I'm going to have to replace the clutch release bearing shaft in my '61 Lark VIII wagon. I'm showing part numbers 536298 for the standard, and 1550523 for the HD version. I'm guessing either one would work, especially after having been welded up. I know that in theory I can knock the ones on my current shaft back in place and weld them, but the rub is that a.) I have to borrow a friend's garage to do the more involved repairs on the car and I don't want to tie her garage up more than a day, and b.) I don't think there will be an obvious reference point as to where the original position was to knock them back to.

If I can't find an NOS one (which I'd obviously weld before installing) I'd be glad to do a core exchange with someone who might already have one that is welded up.

Thanks!
    Dean
    Dean Seavers
    Sacramento, CA

I can’t tell you how many manual transmission Studebakers I have owned - too many to count - and specifically many, many ‘61 - ‘64 Lark types with manual transmissions, and I have never had a failure of the internal release shaft. Granted, I was never one to install a “Heavy Duty” pressure plate. I learned that lesson early on.
    So, before you tear in to it, double check the external clutch linkage, particularly the coupling sleeve, and also the position of the lever on the external operating shaft. I have seen the ball stud loose in the operating shaft bracket.
    I am sure someone will tell you they have had this problem, and it is indeed possible. But I think the odds are strong that the issue is external.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I actually replaced all the external clutch linkage parts last year with NOS pieces, and welded up the tear in the ball stud cup. So I tried to eliminate all the external stuff. I will check to make sure the ball stud hasn't torn again, but short of that, everything else externally is brand new.
      Dean Seavers
      Sacramento, CA

Comment

The 6 cylinder cars seem to have a different fulcrum point and are notorious for failure. I have some of these by part number

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
          The 6 cylinder cars seem to have a different fulcrum point and are notorious for failure. I have some of these by part number
          Thanks, but aren't the V8 shafts different?
          Dean Seavers
          Sacramento, CA

Comment

Yes they are. Somehow I miss read that as Lark 6. I have both and will check.

Comment

Thanks! I appreciate it!
              Dean Seavers
              Sacramento, CA

Comment

What kind of clutch do you have ? Is it a Studebaker part or something else I ask because I used a clutch from a jeep its way to tight an has put a real strain on the stude linkage.So now a clutch job is in my future.

Comment

Originally posted by 55coupe View Post
                  What kind of clutch do you have ? Is it a Studebaker part or something else I ask because I used a clutch from a jeep its way to tight an has put a real strain on the stude linkage.So now a clutch job is in my future.
                  Hi '55 - the clutch in there was according to the paperwork that came with it, replaced in the early 80's supplied by Studebakers West, so I'm assuming it's a Stude unit. But since it was replaced, there has only been a little over 3K miles put on it. But I don't know if because it's a wagon, it was replaced with an HD unit or the standard.
                  Dean Seavers
                  Sacramento, CA

Comment

Found 'em PM sent

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                      Found 'em PM sent
                      Howdy (S), I didn't receive a PM, and when I tried to send one to you, it returned it saying your inbox was full. I am interested.
                      Dean Seavers
                      Sacramento, CA

Comment

I went into my messages and cleaned some out, not sure if it is working or not.

Comment

Working...
                        X