March Madness, Tucson, AZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March Madness, Tucson, AZ

Want to thank the Southern Arizona Chapter for hosting the event and providing goody bags, raffle prizes and a "just fun" day.
    The Grand Canyon Chapter ran an economy run to the event that proved to me that I need to tune the Daytona up or buy stock in an oil company. MPG's ran from over 28 down to 13.
    The valve cover races were in full swing with some very imaginative racers.
    Lots of nice drivers and some very nice show/driver class vehicles. Hope there were some pictures taken that will be posted. I failed to take any.......depressed over the poor fuel economy, I guess.
    Anyway, thanks for the event and the work involved. The weather held out until after the event and a good time was had by all.
    Ken
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Thanks for posting Ken. As nice as car that you have (number 1) I wouldn't worry too much about the economy. Those things are an easy fix, but a nice car is forever.

It was a great day not too hot and overcast. Great cars and the Avanti club was there as well. Seeing two AMX Avanti's in one place was almost overwhelming. As we were leaving, someone came up and wanted to join the club. He has a 1927 President. Couldn't get an application for SDC and the local chapter fast enough. He, and His car would be a treasure for our chapter to have.

Freddy's Steakburger was a gracious host. They provided a free custard for all that attended. When I went to eat with the grandkids, many SDC people were there coming and going. They will want to have us again in two years.

Prizes, awards, and of course, some good natured ribbing wrapped up the show. Next year Grand Canyon SDC will host probably at South Mountain. I will see if I can get some pictures taken and then just figure out how to post

Bob Miles
    Different by Design, Different in Delight!

Comment

I would like to also thank all involved and participated in March Madness 2018. John Lewis, Tourmaster that set the event with Freddy's. Chuck and Louise Stanford and Deb Crooks for Ticket sales, preparing goodie bags, and gathering door prizes and raffle items. Thanks to all that donated for the raffle baskets. Big thanks to Ed Smith for bringing down the track from Phoenix for the Valve cover races. Now I have to build a racer for next year for my grandson. Thanks to Patrick Eastburn as well. Michelle Eastburn, president of the Grand Canyon Chapter for turning out a good number. If you didn't bring your posse, which was just half the Eastburn clan, attendance from up north was still impressive. I also want to thank Russ Ware, vendor for Studebaker Parts. com for bringing all those wonder parts, and for making my wallet lighter. I really did need the taillights and I am glad I bought them early.

I don't want to leave out anyone but a great meet is only as good as the people that coordinate everything. Thanks to everyone. Just having two 1940 Presidents here (Jerry Kaiser and Malcolm Stinston) was just one of many highlights and cars. Gloria Steinmentz should be commended. As a new member of less than a year, she drove her 1963 Hawk. This car could win an award for being one of the greatest potential cars. She is doing bits and pieces at a time. On her placard she put a top speed of 29 mph on the car and she said that was only with a tailwind. Someone thought if we had a parts car category that would win. Spirit of SDC; drive em anyway.

Thanks again to everyone for all the hard work. This is what will keep the Studebaker Drivers Club going and growing for the years to come.

Bob Miles

Comment

This sounds like really great fun. Unfortunately my Studebaker trip out to Arizona continues to slip, looks like it will be no earlier than late April now.

But there is always next year with a different Studebaker, if this is a yearly event.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I stopped by at this event and was pleasantly surprised at the collection of Studebakers. I took a lot of pictures and will see if my Grandson can help me post some. When I got towards the back of the displays just before the back line Avanti display I spotted a 1937 Dictator coupe on my left. I melted there and took lots of pictures. What a masterpiece of Art. Art for the sake of art. Simply mesmerising. This vehicle not only looked amazing in the front view but also on the side view and awesome in it's rear view. Man, what a car ! I found the owners quite friendly and very enthusiastic about their cars. Nice organization. I don't join car or motorcycle clubs but if I was to consider a car club this would be it. Nice job folks. Nice job.

Comment

Next year it will be in the Phoenix area, probably South Mountain Park, hosted by the Grand Canyon State Chapter, SDC. Would welcome your attendance.

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
            This sounds like really great fun. Unfortunately my Studebaker trip out to Arizona continues to slip, looks like it will be no earlier than late April now.

But there is always next year with a different Studebaker, if this is a yearly event.
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
              Thanks for posting Ken. As nice as car that you have (number 1) I wouldn't worry too much about the economy. Those things are an easy fix, but a nice car is forever.

It was a great day not too hot and overcast. Great cars and the Avanti club was there as well. Seeing two AMX Avanti's in one place was almost overwhelming. As we were leaving, someone came up and wanted to join the club. He has a 1927 President. Couldn't get an application for SDC and the local chapter fast enough. He, and His car would be a treasure for our chapter to have.

Freddy's Steakburger was a gracious host. They provided a free custard for all that attended. When I went to eat with the grandkids, many SDC people were there coming and going. They will want to have us again in two years.

Prizes, awards, and of course, some good natured ribbing wrapped up the show. Next year Grand Canyon SDC will host probably at South Mountain. I will see if I can get some pictures taken and then just figure out how to post

Bob Miles
              You got my interest and I am curious what you mean by; "...two AMX Avantis..." Do you mean two of the three completed AVX models? Perhaps you mean two of the Avantis built from 2001 through 2007. Or, do you mean something related to an AMX (American Motors)? Is there a fourth possibility?
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                You got my interest and I am curious what you mean by; "...two AMX Avantis..." Do you mean two of the three completed AVX models? Perhaps you mean two of the Avantis built from 2001 through 2007. Or, do you mean something related to an AMX (American Motors)? Is there a fourth possibility?
                Gary good eye. I was writing this up and slipped a key or two on the keyboard. They were the two AVX models. One showed the Ford Supercharged V8 with a Pennsylvania data plate. The other car was the AVX and I had seen a picture of that particular car with Tom Kellogg posing with the car. At the point in time I was able to get to go and look, I was also corralling 3 Grandkids on proper car show etiquette.

John Lewis, our Tourmaster/VP knows about the cars as he was responsible for inviting the owners to bring their cars. Also, reaching out to the Arizona Avanti group for other info as well. When I get more info, I will post. I do remember on the owner that posted the placard that the price listed was $75,000 new.

Bob Miles

Comment

Gary good eye. I was writing this up and slipped a key or two on the keyboard. They were the two AVX models. One showed the Ford Supercharged V8 with a Pennsylvania data plate. The other car was the AVX and I had seen a picture of that particular car with Tom Kellogg posing with the car. At the point in time I was able to get to go and look, I was also corralling 3 Grandkids on proper car show etiquette.

John Lewis, our Tourmaster/VP knows about the cars as he was responsible for inviting the owners to bring their cars. Also, reaching out to the Arizona Avanti group for other info as well. When I get more info, I will post. I do remember on the owner that posted the placard that the price listed was $75,000 new.

Bob Miles
                  AVX's are technically not Avantis. All AVX's were built on either Camaro or Firebird chassis. The last Avantis built (2005-2007) were built on a Ford chassis.
                  Please post more when you get this straightened out. Pictures would help.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The other car was the AVX and I had seen a picture of that particular car with Tom Kellogg posing with the car.
                    We discussed that car here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ighlight=mcacn

It was on display at last year's MCACN in Chicago.

Craig

Comment

Well even though my knowledge in these two cars is lacking, what impressed me was these two car owners drove 125 miles for the meet, spent the whole time at the meet, then got into these cars. As rare as they are, they drove them. I hope next year in Phoenix for the March Madness they return so I can gain knowledge.

Some people don't even drive their cars for local breakfast meeting and show not much interest in having other car shows or meeting for a mixed make meet. Hats off to the two AVX owners.

Everyone is invited to the 2019 March Madness in Phoenix.

Bob Miles
                      Different in Design, Different in Delight!

Comment

Working...
                      X