Restoring door panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Restoring door panels

The door panels on my 61 Champ have suffered water damage and are probably warped beyond saving. Understanding the improved options for materials since the 1960's, what would anyone recommend as a material?

I thought of the foam board that we often see used for political advertising signs. They are waterproof and might be strong enough to have the vinyl stapled to the backside. Other suggestions?

ABS plastic sheet works great.

Comment

I bought the same type of material as the original from my local auto trim shop. Not real cheap, something like $20 for two doors.-Jim

Comment

I like using a plastic product called Sintra, it's used to make signs and display boards. Very stable, waterproof, UV resistant, easy to cut and can be heat formed to follow shallow contours or bent with a little heat. Check with a local sign shop, they might have some.

Comment

I used ABS on my '54 sedan. Holds staples very well, can be cut with a sabre saw, waterproof, etc. Took the original vinyl from the cardboard panels along with thin foam made for use under vinyl tops, and put on the new panels.
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I went to Home Depot and bought a roll of roofing felt and doubled it with spray on glue, I cut the holes for the handle and window crank with a hole cutter and cut the panel clip holes with a sharp small chisel. I refolded the vinyl, glued and stapled it to the back side.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07833.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	1719848Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07834.JPG
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	1719849Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07835.JPG
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	1719850

Comment

I would have expected roofing felt to be too thin, even doubled. If it works for you I guess it is all good.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

A single sheet of roofing felt is .050, double is .100 that is exactly what the original paper backing is. It is very stiff.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X