chrome plating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chrome plating?

I'm wanting to have my '55 Commander's front and rear bumpers re-chromed. I saw some great looking chrome on some vintage cars this past summer and they mentioned a plating outfit somewhere in central Indiana. Anyone have an idea? TIA Ernie in Louisville

Just got a quote today on a 55. About 1500 for 2 bumpers. About 1500 for front grilles and bumperettes.

Still thinking.

Paul R

Comment

Just got a quote today on a 55. About 1500 for 2 bumpers. About 1500 for front grilles and bumperettes.

Still thinking.

Paul R

Comment

Now I know why guys do the monotone paint scheme.

Comment

Now I know why guys do the monotone paint scheme.

Comment

Chrome plating today is not a cheeeeeep undertaking. You can thank the epa for that and when and if you do decide to have it done get referrals first. Best I've seen is Paul's in Pittsburgh area and Librandi's in Harrisburg PA area. I'm sure there are others around.

See you in the future as I write about our past
            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Chrome plating today is not a cheeeeeep undertaking. You can thank the epa for that and when and if you do decide to have it done get referrals first. Best I've seen is Paul's in Pittsburgh area and Librandi's in Harrisburg PA area. I'm sure there are others around.

See you in the future as I write about our past
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I concur that Librandi's in Middletown, PA (by the Harrisburg International Airport) is top notch. That's who did all the chrome on our '54 Commander Starliner. Along with everything else, I had taken one of my back-up lights to them. The pits in it turned into holes through the casting as they cheaned them out. Ultimately, there was a large hole right above the opening for the lens that they couldn't repair, so they returned to me at no charge, even though they already had a lot of work in it. What really amazed me was what they had already done to patch holes in it. They had attached a thin plate (I don't know the material as the whole casting had been copper plated) on the inside top of the casting and filled in whatever hole or holes were in it so expertly that there was absolutely no evidence that there had ever been any damage to it.

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
                Hummelstown, PA
                Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
                Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Comment

I concur that Librandi's in Middletown, PA (by the Harrisburg International Airport) is top notch. That's who did all the chrome on our '54 Commander Starliner. Along with everything else, I had taken one of my back-up lights to them. The pits in it turned into holes through the casting as they cheaned them out. Ultimately, there was a large hole right above the opening for the lens that they couldn't repair, so they returned to me at no charge, even though they already had a lot of work in it. What really amazed me was what they had already done to patch holes in it. They had attached a thin plate (I don't know the material as the whole casting had been copper plated) on the inside top of the casting and filled in whatever hole or holes were in it so expertly that there was absolutely no evidence that there had ever been any damage to it.

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
                  Hummelstown, PA
                  Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
                  Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Comment

For my driver, I have bought my share of chrome, but no more.
                    There are powdercoat materials available now which are the equal of the marginal chrome work I can afford--at a fraction of the price.

51 Commander State Sedan
                    Butler PA

51 Commander State Sedan
                    Butler PA

Comment

For my driver, I have bought my share of chrome, but no more.
                      There are powdercoat materials available now which are the equal of the marginal chrome work I can afford--at a fraction of the price.

51 Commander State Sedan
                      Butler PA

51 Commander State Sedan
                      Butler PA

Comment

I used J&P plating in Portland IN for some pieces. Nice work on pot metal. They have differnt quality grades you can choose.

Dan
                        52 hardtop

Comment

I used J&P plating in Portland IN for some pieces. Nice work on pot metal. They have differnt quality grades you can choose.

Dan
                          52 hardtop

Comment

I got a quote, sight unseen, from Superior Chrome in Houston, TX for both bumpers on my '50 for $250 each. They were very helpful and friendly over the phone.

Comment

I got a quote, sight unseen, from Superior Chrome in Houston, TX for both bumpers on my '50 for $250 each. They were very helpful and friendly over the phone.

Comment

Working...
                              X