Hill Holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hill Holder

Did all of the 1956-61 Studebaker Hawks/cars that had a manual transmission 3 or 4spd come with a hill holder as standard equipment ? Also what is the correct procedure for checking and adjusting if needed ?

Stuhawk

no.... shop manual, but, you really need to know and see how the system works , then fiddle with it some...

Comment

After 1952 and more so after 1954, Hill Holders were a VERY rarely ordered Option.

It would be quite unusual to have one on a 4 Speed '61 Hawk or an Avanti, but they WERE available on all models with all Manual or Overdrive Transmissions.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
        no.... shop manual, but, you really need to know and see how the system works , then fiddle with it some...
        Yes, the shop manual describes the adjustment procedure adequately well, however, you will need to fiddle with it as clutch wear will factor in to it.
        Just follow the instructions and be patient. Once you get it right it should stay adjusted. Make sure the hill holder itself is good and clean and operating well.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          After 1952 and more so after 1954, Hill Holders were a VERY rarely ordered Option.

It would be quite unusual to have one on a 4 Speed '61 Hawk or an Avanti, but they WERE available on all models with all Manual or Overdrive Transmissions.
          StudeRich,
          My 1961 Hawk 4 spd does indeed have one. I guess I need to consult a shop manual and check it out. Would like to have it working properly if needed. So i guess it was an ordered option if not standard on that model.

Stuhawk

Comment

Originally posted by Stuhawk View Post
            /Cut/StudeRich,
            So i guess it was an ordered option if not standard on that model. Stuhawk
            On U.S. Cars, in the 1950's and a little less in the 1960's, almost EVERYTHING was Optional especially Studebakers.
            You did get 5 Wheels and 5 Blackwall Tires Standard!

Wheelcovers, Whitewalls, Backup Lights, Cigar Lighter, Clock (except Land Cruiser, President State, President Classic, Speedster and Cruiser), Radio, Heater, Tinted Glass, Tachometer, etc. etc. ALL Optional.

None of the above applies to the ONLY fully loaded Car Studebaker ever sold... the '55 President Speedster.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 03-02-2018, 04:29 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Three of my dad's old cars had the hill-holder feature, and my 55 with the DG 250 automatic has what is called an "anti-creep". It doesn't work ( unhooked by prev owner ) , but if it did, would it also hold from rolling backwards like the manual cars hill-holders ?

Comment

I recently acquired a 64 Super Hawk; factory 4 speed, A/C, and an R1 engine with an original 54K miles. This car has the hill holder too. There is a designation as a "high performance car". I am driving this car as yet as the body shop has inside storage and will do a full concours repain. Any info on how this hill holder works and what service it may require?
                thanks everyone
                Mark

Comment

Are You saying Tachometers were only optional ?

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  On U.S. Cars, in the 1950's and a little less in the 1960's, almost EVERYTHING was Optional especially Studebakers.
                  You did get 5 Wheels and 5 Blackwall Tires Standard!

Wheelcovers, Whitewalls, Backup Lights, Cigar Lighter, Clock (except Land Cruiser, President State, President Classic, Speedster and Cruiser), Radio, Heater, Tinted Glass, Tachometer, etc. etc. ALL Optional.
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Dad ordered one on his new '64 (3 on the tree) wagon...his '56 also had one.
                    Jed
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys for all the advice and info. I probably need to take it apart and clean it according to the manual instructions. I wonder where you would get the parts to rebuild it .....It would definitely come in handy at a stop sign on a hill when the guy behind you pulls up on your bumper. Been there and done that and I'll bet you have to. "NOT GOOD"

Stuhawk

Comment

Originally posted by jeds55 View Post
                        Dad ordered one on his new '64 (3 on the tree) wagon...his '56 also had one.
                        Jed
                        I am familiar how the hill holder works on all pre 1960 Studebakers, but how is it set up and 1961 and up Larks? That way if I spot a car in that vintage I will know what to look at.

Thanks
                        Bob Miles
                        Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by Stuhawk View Post
                          Thanks guys for all the advice and info. I probably need to take it apart and clean it according to the manual instructions. I wonder where you would get the parts to rebuild it .....It would definitely come in handy at a stop sign on a hill when the guy behind you pulls up on your bumper. Been there and done that and I'll bet you have to. "NOT GOOD"

Stuhawk
                          For parts check the Studebaker Vendors. You'll be amazed at what you can find from them. There is a list on the Studebaker Drivers Club website.
                          Ed Sallia
                          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Thanks Commander Eddie for the parts tip.

Stuhawk

Comment

" I probably need to take it apart and clean it according to the manual instructions."

Do not take it apart unless you already have the repair kit in hand!!
                              Also, strongly suggest that you not take it apart at all.
                              Just remove it from the car (so that you can shake it and tip it, etc) then get a syringe or some such and repeatedly flush it as best you can.
                              This has always worked for me.
                              FYI, that big serrated end cap is heck to get apart, and sometimes its difficult to get them not to leak on reassembly.

Comment

Working...
                              X