Lets keep the Studeys rollin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets keep the Studeys rollin

With all the negative warnings about the practicalities of driving a Studebaker everyday, I thought it would be nice for those using them everyday to keep up a weekly log of how the cars are working so that those coming into the hobby can get a pretty good idea of what to expect. My car was asleep for over 10 years and had to have just about everything mechanical replaced to get it back up and going. Today is day 4 of daily service and the car seems to be settling back in to normal duty. There have been no unscheduled stops, mileage is improving a bit, am getting about 20 now. I've put about 400 miles on the car since its maiden voyage after the rebuild. Other than needing dash lights, everything else is working as it was meant to. The oil pressure is great and the temp stays low. As a side note, my other two larks didn't ride as well as this one. This weekend I'm gonna start on the upholstery, I have NOS covers for the seats. Then for the carpeting.

Well...despite some of the others application of service to keep one running...it's very little!

I've driven older cars most of my 57 years. The newest vehicle was/is an 85 GM Suburban. I bought it about 8 years ago. Computer controled carburetor and ignition. It is a heavy duty version...so the emission system is a little different than a standard Suburban/truck.

Anyway, with an electronic module in the distributor...the only change I see in driving my Stude as a daily driver is the valve adjustment every 3500 to 4000 miles.
    Just like newer cars...it has spark plugs, oil, gaskets that leak and need replacing, coolent hoses that require the occasional changing, a fan belt (that doesn't require changing every 60K miles and cost 60 bucks!), still needs gasoline and air in the tires. Though..I do change the air in the tires every season change to make sure it doesn't get stale! Stale air can lead to bad gas milage!

But in reality...as I noted...I'm not working on my Lark much different than anyone else I know with their new/newer cars. But then again...I don't know anyone personally, that owns a Lamborghini!

Mike

Comment

Well...despite some of the others application of service to keep one running...it's very little!

I've driven older cars most of my 57 years. The newest vehicle was/is an 85 GM Suburban. I bought it about 8 years ago. Computer controled carburetor and ignition. It is a heavy duty version...so the emission system is a little different than a standard Suburban/truck.

Anyway, with an electronic module in the distributor...the only change I see in driving my Stude as a daily driver is the valve adjustment every 3500 to 4000 miles.
      Just like newer cars...it has spark plugs, oil, gaskets that leak and need replacing, coolent hoses that require the occasional changing, a fan belt (that doesn't require changing every 60K miles and cost 60 bucks!), still needs gasoline and air in the tires. Though..I do change the air in the tires every season change to make sure it doesn't get stale! Stale air can lead to bad gas milage!

But in reality...as I noted...I'm not working on my Lark much different than anyone else I know with their new/newer cars. But then again...I don't know anyone personally, that owns a Lamborghini!

Mike

Comment

I think we'd need another sub-forum for such a thing. Like Bob does for the big national meets. I've been driving Studes as daily drivers for about three years now. It's been a roller-coaster ride, let me tell you. Not only do I drive forty to fifty year old cars, but I live in the mountians. That exposes my cars to a lot of hazards most people don't ordinarily face...[:0] For example, this was taken from the side of my previous driveway:

Then again, with new cars the same things could happen. At least there wasn't an expensive paint job ruined. By the by, the only damage was a pretzeled tow bar. Both the wagon and the pickup are back on the road... daily.

Be prepared for the occasional die out. Carry, if you can afford it, ignition parts (plugs, points, condenser, distributor cap) a spare generator or alternator, water pump, fuel pump, and a BIG box of tools (that's why Studes come with those big capacious trunks[:I]). After a year or so, the bugs should be worked out. It took about six months for my '56 wagon. Oh yes, you might consider replacing the engine mounts right off, if yours is a V8. Replacing the mounts with those for a Land Rover diesel would be a good idea. I've got those in mine and they were just the ticket (after going through three sets of NEW Stude mounts)!

By the by, did I mention how much fun it is to drive a 51 year old car??[8D]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        Lotsa Larks!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I think we'd need another sub-forum for such a thing. Like Bob does for the big national meets. I've been driving Studes as daily drivers for about three years now. It's been a roller-coaster ride, let me tell you. Not only do I drive forty to fifty year old cars, but I live in the mountians. That exposes my cars to a lot of hazards most people don't ordinarily face...[:0] For example, this was taken from the side of my previous driveway:

Then again, with new cars the same things could happen. At least there wasn't an expensive paint job ruined. By the by, the only damage was a pretzeled tow bar. Both the wagon and the pickup are back on the road... daily.

Be prepared for the occasional die out. Carry, if you can afford it, ignition parts (plugs, points, condenser, distributor cap) a spare generator or alternator, water pump, fuel pump, and a BIG box of tools (that's why Studes come with those big capacious trunks[:I]). After a year or so, the bugs should be worked out. It took about six months for my '56 wagon. Oh yes, you might consider replacing the engine mounts right off, if yours is a V8. Replacing the mounts with those for a Land Rover diesel would be a good idea. I've got those in mine and they were just the ticket (after going through three sets of NEW Stude mounts)!

By the by, did I mention how much fun it is to drive a 51 year old car??[8D]

Lotsa Larks!
          Ron Smith
          Ron Smith

Comment

I think a key thing is what Clunk mentioned: A big box (or bag) of tools. More to the point actually, is knowledge of how to USE those tools.
            I've been busy and I haven't followed the latest thread about Studes as daily drivers. But what was mentioned there AND here, is the innocent notion that you might buy a decent survivor Stude,press it into daily service and thumb your nose at convention.
            All three of those points are viable, but IF you're not one to get your hands greazy and have a bit of mechanical savvy - you're gonna be crippled right out of the gate.[8]
            There ARE a fast-dwindling number of real mechanics "out there" that are qualified to DIAGNOSE (and THAT'S the KEY facet here) and repair these aging conveyances. I was gonna add that the number of these rarities that will charge you fairly for their expertise is even smaller. Thing is, likely, if they've survived this long, they've done so by giving their customers a fair shake. Again tho, their numbers are down to almost nothing and that makes finding one that's close, timely and fair, a tough prospect.[B)] My point is, saying that these aging mounts are an advantage is deluding yourself IF you have to depend on someone else to maintain it for you.
            I look at a fuel pump and see two bolts, two line fittings and 30 minutes. Someone who doesn't know what "open end, box or crow's foot" is about is gonna see a fog. As a result(in my case), I'm lookin' at maybe $40 bucks or so. It's not out of the park to surmise that the fog-impaired person sees $400 bucks! Heh - if that were me, I'd be drivin' a Hyundai. And THAT'S the truth![:I]

I've made fun (in the past) of the argument where someone maintains that by putting a Northstar V8 in their Stude, they're not gonna be broke down in Backwoods, Montana with no hope of getting the car running because they'll be able to quickly get whatever part of the Caddy drivetrain that's failed.
            That's a joke because the first thing you're gonna need is a tow to someplace that has an adequate diagnostic machine to tell you exactly what it is that's failed. THEN you gotta hope the part can be secured to get you back on the road......that week![:0]
            With a Stude powerplant -
            - and at least part of the list of parts that Clunk mentioned having along - as well as the aforementioned box of tools AND your basic knowledge of how to apply them - you're likely gonna be back on the road and cruising before the tow truck picks up the NorthStar-powered car.[xx(]
            Studebaker DRIVERS are a rare breed and we wear that badge proudly. It's not SO exclusive that others can't join. It's just that a big dollop of reality has to be swallowed and digested to be able to be a member. Either that or one heck of a resevoir of patience and money.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I think a key thing is what Clunk mentioned: A big box (or bag) of tools. More to the point actually, is knowledge of how to USE those tools.
              I've been busy and I haven't followed the latest thread about Studes as daily drivers. But what was mentioned there AND here, is the innocent notion that you might buy a decent survivor Stude,press it into daily service and thumb your nose at convention.
              All three of those points are viable, but IF you're not one to get your hands greazy and have a bit of mechanical savvy - you're gonna be crippled right out of the gate.[8]
              There ARE a fast-dwindling number of real mechanics "out there" that are qualified to DIAGNOSE (and THAT'S the KEY facet here) and repair these aging conveyances. I was gonna add that the number of these rarities that will charge you fairly for their expertise is even smaller. Thing is, likely, if they've survived this long, they've done so by giving their customers a fair shake. Again tho, their numbers are down to almost nothing and that makes finding one that's close, timely and fair, a tough prospect.[B)] My point is, saying that these aging mounts are an advantage is deluding yourself IF you have to depend on someone else to maintain it for you.
              I look at a fuel pump and see two bolts, two line fittings and 30 minutes. Someone who doesn't know what "open end, box or crow's foot" is about is gonna see a fog. As a result(in my case), I'm lookin' at maybe $40 bucks or so. It's not out of the park to surmise that the fog-impaired person sees $400 bucks! Heh - if that were me, I'd be drivin' a Hyundai. And THAT'S the truth![:I]

I've made fun (in the past) of the argument where someone maintains that by putting a Northstar V8 in their Stude, they're not gonna be broke down in Backwoods, Montana with no hope of getting the car running because they'll be able to quickly get whatever part of the Caddy drivetrain that's failed.
              That's a joke because the first thing you're gonna need is a tow to someplace that has an adequate diagnostic machine to tell you exactly what it is that's failed. THEN you gotta hope the part can be secured to get you back on the road......that week![:0]
              With a Stude powerplant -
              - and at least part of the list of parts that Clunk mentioned having along - as well as the aforementioned box of tools AND your basic knowledge of how to apply them - you're likely gonna be back on the road and cruising before the tow truck picks up the NorthStar-powered car.[xx(]
              Studebaker DRIVERS are a rare breed and we wear that badge proudly. It's not SO exclusive that others can't join. It's just that a big dollop of reality has to be swallowed and digested to be able to be a member. Either that or one heck of a resevoir of patience and money.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well written Mr Biggs. I guess I've taken the mechanical thing for granted. Your right, if one is not mechanically inclined, owning one of these could become quite a nightmare. I'm still learning everyday about them and what to expect. Its a fun adventure though.

Comment

Well written Mr Biggs. I guess I've taken the mechanical thing for granted. Your right, if one is not mechanically inclined, owning one of these could become quite a nightmare. I'm still learning everyday about them and what to expect. Its a fun adventure though.

Comment

quote:More to the point actually, is knowledge of how to USE those tools.
                    My, my, Mr. Biggs! One might think you're getting sick of my lame-o posts in the technical page. After all, isn't that what that page is for??? LOL!

Seriously, Yes, you're spot on sir. It cost me fifteen hundred dollars, to have a motor I supplied to the local mechanic, installed in my '64 wagonaire. He put spacers on the clutch assembly and caused me no end of grief. Add to that, I supplied him with the complete set of manuals for the car and he thought so much of himself that he never even opened them. This resulted in a really botched up job on both motor and car. Then I discovered this forum! They've never forgiven me here since (LOL)!

My first thought was to use the Studebaker as a quriky second car and the more current car as a daily (read that reliable for work) car. Since that supposedly reliable and several since, car broke down and left me in the lurch, I've stuck to the Studebakers. They're less expensive to fix (D.I.Y.) and the parts are largely available. My only problems have been money and availability of 2bbl carbs.

Speaking of carbs... did you fellas know that the Lycoming airplane motor used a 2bbl STROMBERG carburator just like (well, certainly very similar) to what's on our beloved Studebakers? George and I just sold one on e-bay and in disassembling it to ship, discovered the similarities in the Carb. It was a flat four cylindered, air cooled, supercharged, with a 2bbl carb. Go figure!! I also found a SB carb in a late '60s Dodge pickup here on the property. It fits, though with a different air cleaner. The advantages of living in a small junk yard (don't tell George I said that LOL)!

The point I've gone all round the church-yard about is that with the assistance of the GREAT (and enormously patient) people on this page, it is possible for an ignoramus like me to actually do things like major repairs to the motors of my Studes. This forum and the club as well are the BEST thing about owning a Studebaker.

Sorry about nattering along like an old lady at tea. I'm snowed in and have a bit of time on my hands today.[:I][)]

Lotsa Larks!
                    Ron Smith
                    Ron Smith

Comment

quote:More to the point actually, is knowledge of how to USE those tools.
                      My, my, Mr. Biggs! One might think you're getting sick of my lame-o posts in the technical page. After all, isn't that what that page is for??? LOL!

Seriously, Yes, you're spot on sir. It cost me fifteen hundred dollars, to have a motor I supplied to the local mechanic, installed in my '64 wagonaire. He put spacers on the clutch assembly and caused me no end of grief. Add to that, I supplied him with the complete set of manuals for the car and he thought so much of himself that he never even opened them. This resulted in a really botched up job on both motor and car. Then I discovered this forum! They've never forgiven me here since (LOL)!

My first thought was to use the Studebaker as a quriky second car and the more current car as a daily (read that reliable for work) car. Since that supposedly reliable and several since, car broke down and left me in the lurch, I've stuck to the Studebakers. They're less expensive to fix (D.I.Y.) and the parts are largely available. My only problems have been money and availability of 2bbl carbs.

Speaking of carbs... did you fellas know that the Lycoming airplane motor used a 2bbl STROMBERG carburator just like (well, certainly very similar) to what's on our beloved Studebakers? George and I just sold one on e-bay and in disassembling it to ship, discovered the similarities in the Carb. It was a flat four cylindered, air cooled, supercharged, with a 2bbl carb. Go figure!! I also found a SB carb in a late '60s Dodge pickup here on the property. It fits, though with a different air cleaner. The advantages of living in a small junk yard (don't tell George I said that LOL)!

The point I've gone all round the church-yard about is that with the assistance of the GREAT (and enormously patient) people on this page, it is possible for an ignoramus like me to actually do things like major repairs to the motors of my Studes. This forum and the club as well are the BEST thing about owning a Studebaker.

Sorry about nattering along like an old lady at tea. I'm snowed in and have a bit of time on my hands today.[:I][)]

Lotsa Larks!
                      Ron Smith
                      Ron Smith

Comment

I drove a 53 champion starlight every day for two years when I was 16-18. The only break down I had was one cotter pin had to be replaced late one night on the shift lever. This was replaced with a "bobby" pin and was still in the car when I sold it. I drove a 49 coupe as daily transportation for 1 year, no repairs. I had a 41 m 15 for ten years with very few breakdowns. I have had six others that I have driven, although not every day, all were very dependable. I had a 47 m-5 that I drove for 12 years, only vehicle. I had a few repairs but was "never" stranded. I have a 53 starlight coupe in process and as soon as it leaves the garage under its own power, it will be DRIVEN. Studebakers are very dependable. I lovumm. Tex

Tex E. Grier

Comment

I drove a 53 champion starlight every day for two years when I was 16-18. The only break down I had was one cotter pin had to be replaced late one night on the shift lever. This was replaced with a "bobby" pin and was still in the car when I sold it. I drove a 49 coupe as daily transportation for 1 year, no repairs. I had a 41 m 15 for ten years with very few breakdowns. I have had six others that I have driven, although not every day, all were very dependable. I had a 47 m-5 that I drove for 12 years, only vehicle. I had a few repairs but was "never" stranded. I have a 53 starlight coupe in process and as soon as it leaves the garage under its own power, it will be DRIVEN. Studebakers are very dependable. I lovumm. Tex

Tex E. Grier

Comment

One of the best things to carry in an old car is that premium auto club car membership that allows for 100-200 miles of towing with a breakdown. If you're travelling beyond that distance from your home you should have the Studebaker Club Roster .......I have Allstate Motor Club........I like it....

Comment

One of the best things to carry in an old car is that premium auto club car membership that allows for 100-200 miles of towing with a breakdown. If you're travelling beyond that distance from your home you should have the Studebaker Club Roster .......I have Allstate Motor Club........I like it....

Comment

Working...
                              X