Intersesting Booklet from Hamilton Plant 1950

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intersesting Booklet from Hamilton Plant 1950

I was at a local antique store here in Barrie Ontario just north of Toronto last week and I bought a copy of "More Than They Promised" from a book vendor. He mentioned that he had at home what appears to be a hand written and illustrated 46 page booklet from about 1950 titled "Studebaker's Champs". The only thing known about the author is that he went by the name "Scotty". There are references to Local 525 which would be CAW 525 in Hamilton so it appears to be a personal account of life in the Hamilton plant.

He wondered if anyone would have any interest in the booklet. It's in good shape other than a bit of scribbling from a child on the back cover. Is there anyone who is archiving the Hamilton plants literature? Would the museum be interested in this?

I'll bet it would be interesting to anyone who worked in the plant in those days as it appears to illustrate some interesting characters from those days, unless they are fictitious!

I've included a few shots of what is in the booklet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stuebaker book 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1757375Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker Book.jpg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1757370Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker book 3.jpg
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1757371Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker book 4.jpg
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1757372Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker book 5.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1757373Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker book 6.jpg
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1757374
    Last edited by Kato; 02-23-2018, 06:22 PM.

Wow! That is a fantastic archival item!! Should be lots of interest in it at the Hamilton Chapter especially!

It looks as if it was perhaps reproduced using the "mimeograph"
    process. Likely distributed within the plant and/or the union membership. Probably more copies out there if research.
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

That is just great! I'll bet Stu Chapman would be interested in this. And maybe Andy Beckman... are you out there?
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Bet that was given out with plant tours .
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I have some plant memos from Hamilton and there was one of the higher ups named W.A. Taylor , he was scotch and went by Scotty Taylor .....he may possible have been the guy who made this up .
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Kato, you may have possibly found the first Studebaker literature item that Richard Quinn does not have!

Let's see if he chimes in on this item.
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Yup. mimeograph "blue", so that there at least WERE others made!

...the mimeograph machine having been "streamlined" by Mr. Lowey et al.

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                I have some plant memos from Hamilton and there was one of the higher ups named W.A. Taylor , he was scotch and went by Scotty Taylor .....he may possible have been the guy who made this up .
                Bob, as soon as I saw the opening post in this thread I started racking my memory bank for the full name of Scotty. And you were bang on. This is the man and his first name was William or Bill. I seem to recollect he was Regional Service Manager working under General Service Manager Jim Holloway, and was a great guy.

By the way, "scotch" is what he drank. "Scottish" is what he was. I know Andy Beckman checks the Forum but I will drop him an email about this publication. It should be in the Museum Archives.

Stu Chapman
                Last edited by Stu Chapman; 03-05-2018, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                  Bob, as soon as I saw the opening post in this thread I started racking my memory bank for the full name of Scotty. And you were bang on. This is the man and his first name was William or Bill. I seem to recollect he was Regional Service Manager working under General Service Manager Jim Holloway, and was a great guy.

By the way, "scotch" is what he drank. "Scottish" is what he was. I know Andy Beckman checks the Forum but I will drop him an email about this publication. It should be in the Museum Archives.

Stu Chapman

Stu Chapman
                  Thank you Stu. That is what I thought as well. I would be happy to purchase and donate it to the museum. If you want to look it over first I can bring it to Badenoch in April if you are going to be there? I am planning on going to South Bend for the swap meet so if Andy is interested in it I could take it then. Just a stroke of luck that I came across this but it has been worth it just reading your reminiscing of "Scotty". In fact I am going to head downstairs right now and have a snort of Scotch myself. Cheers!

Kato (aka Kevin Davis)

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                    Kato, you may have possibly found the first Studebaker literature item that Richard Quinn does not have!

Let's see if he chimes in on this item.
                    Ha Ha, well I haven't celebrated many "firsts" in my life! In fact this might be my first "first". Sorry Richard

Comment

Originally posted by STEWDI View Post
                      Wow! That is a fantastic archival item!! Should be lots of interest in it at the Hamilton Chapter especially!

It looks as if it was perhaps reproduced using the "mimeograph"
                      process. Likely distributed within the plant and/or the union membership. Probably more copies out there if research.
                      I must admit I did not know what a "mimeograph" was until I just looked it up. This is becoming a real education!

Comment

mimeograph details

Originally posted by Kato View Post
                        I must admit I did not know what a "mimeograph" was until I just looked it up. This is becoming a real education!
                        And do not forget how great a "fresh" mimeograph smells when it is running! One whiff of that and sweat breaks out all over again thinking of those algebra tests in high school . Mr. Richards always yelled at me "Sherman...fill it out THEN smell it!"

Comment

Originally posted by firestoper 25 View Post
                          And do not forget how great a "fresh" mimeograph smells when it is running! One whiff of that and sweat breaks out all over again thinking of those algebra tests in high school . Mr. Richards always yelled at me "Sherman...fill it out THEN smell it!"
                          Either my memory fails me or it was before my time but I don't remember the smell of the mimeograph. I do remember many teachers yelling at me though!

Comment

Originally posted by Kato View Post
                            Thank you Stu. That is what I thought as well. I would be happy to purchase and donate it to the museum. If you want to look it over first I can bring it to Badenoch in April if you are going to be there? I am planning on going to South Bend for the swap meet so if Andy is interested in it I could take it then. Just a stroke of luck that I came across this but it has been worth it just reading your reminiscing of "Scotty". In fact I am going to head downstairs right now and have a snort of Scotch myself. Cheers!

Kato (aka Kevin Davis)
                            Thank you for your kind gesture Kevin. I emailed Andy Beckman last evening so I likely won't hear back from him until Monday.

I will attend Badenoch and also plan on South Bend in May.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                              Thank you for your kind gesture Kevin. I emailed Andy Beckman last evening so I likely won't hear back from him until Monday.

I will attend Badenoch and also plan on South Bend in May.

Stu Chapman
                              You are welcome Stu. I have contacted the fellow who has the booklet and am just waiting to hear back from him. Unless he is asking some outrageous amount for it I will go and buy it next week and will bring it to Badenoch. Perhaps you could present it to Andy along with your memories of Scotty?

Just let me know what Andy says.

Cheers!

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X