• Show
Clear All

• Almost naked GT Hawk.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	GTHKPT.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	1757358......off to the paint shop!
    (Who will loan me the money to get her out of the paint shop?)
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Many paint shops now use a high temperature bake oven to dry the paint quicker, more completely and to get the car out of the shop. If you are leaving the vinyl top on, I would instruct them to limit the heat it will be exposed to. It is better to have it sit for a couple of extra days while it dries in a moderate temperature (like in the shop).

EDIT: PS - Do not forget to give them parts like the air doors to paint at the same time and with the same batch of paint, like with the fenders in the case of those doors.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Is there a reason for removing the windows? Do you want your black interior oversprayed with red paint?
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Lou Van Anne, those wheels sure look "right" on there ! Never seen them on a Studebaker... are they 14s or 15s ?

Comment

they are 15" ask how I know I put them on. Lou when you get the car the way you want it you will have one of the best around, thanks for taking it and making the car as nice as it should be something I could never have been able to afford, Jim Spivey is looking down an Iam sure he is very happy with what you are doing with his car, RIP Jim Lou has it handled.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
            Is there a reason for removing the windows? Do you want your black interior oversprayed with red paint?
            I wonder if they just might cover that opening?
            Plastic sheeting and masking tape. Just discovered?

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
              they are 15" ask how I know I put them on. Lou when you get the car the way you want it you will have one of the best around, thanks for taking it and making the car as nice as it should be something I could never have been able to afford, Jim Spivey is looking down an Iam sure he is very happy with what you are doing with his car, RIP Jim Lou has it handled.
              If anyone has photo of Jim I'd like a copy to keep with the car.....I probably meet him but just don't remember what he looked like....when he owned the car she was featured on the back cover of Turning Wheels July 1982.
              Lou Van Anne
              62 Champ
              64 R2 GT Hawk
              79 Avanti II

Comment

Though this paint job will most likely cure, and not dry.

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                Many paint shops now use a high temperature bake oven to dry the paint quicker, more completely and to get the car out of the shop. If you are leaving the vinyl top on, I would instruct them to limit the heat it will be exposed to. It is better to have it sit for a couple of extra days while it dries in a moderate temperature (like in the shop).

EDIT: PS - Do not forget to give them parts like the air doors to paint at the same time and with the same batch of paint, like with the fenders in the case of those doors.
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                X