Upholstery Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upholstery Shop

Does anyone know if there is an upholstery shop that specializes in Studebaker Restoration located in the Midwest say in a 200mi radius around St. Louis ? Also would you have any idea or experience as to the appx cost to re-do a 1961 Hawk to factory original ?

An upholstery shop that specializes in Studebaker would have gone out of business long ago. Most upholstery shops can duplicate what is in the car - almost any car. The trouble comes in when the current upholstery is a cheap, plain vinyl job that some CASO had installed in the 70's or 80's. Then the shop has nothing correct to copy.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
      An upholstery shop that specializes in Studebaker would have gone out of business long ago. Most upholstery shops can duplicate what is in the car - almost any car. The trouble comes in when the current upholstery is a cheap, plain vinyl job that some CASO had installed in the 70's or 80's. Then the shop has nothing correct to copy.
      RadioRoy,

I'm sure your right. I think whats in the car now has been re-done sometime in the past but feel sure it is original factory Style. It looks the same as dozens of others I have looked at on the net so I feel pretty sure about it.
      I have not had good luck in the past with re-upholstery shops but i'm sure there is some good ones out there. You just have to do your homework and talk to prior customers if possible. Do you have any idea what you might expect that to cost for a 61 Hawk?

Comment

This may give you an idea on price. I have not used them but the forum has feedback. Not sure where to direct you for feedback.

alpha-omegaclothingco.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, alpha-omegaclothingco.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Bob Miles
        Tucson AZ

Comment

Your best bet is to talk with antique auto owners in your area, especially those who have nice-looking upholstery in their cars. Ask who did their work. If a couple of them own Studes, that's a bonus.
          Bill Jarvis

Comment

Try Southeast Studebaker.LLC: southeaststudebaker.com 865 525 6151......Rene does excellent work!
            Lou Van Anne
            62 Champ
            64 R2 GT Hawk
            79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by Stuhawk View Post
              Does anyone know if there is an upholstery shop that specializes in Studebaker Restoration located in the Midwest say in a 200mi radius around St. Louis ? Also would you have any idea or experience as to the appx cost to re-do a 1961 Hawk to factory original ?
              PM forum member Brad Bez. I believe he's in the st louis area and does damn fine restoration work. He should know what's available in that area.

...making your dream car a reality

Comment

Thomas Scott,
                You can order a correct interior from René at Southeast Studebaker and have any reputable upholstery shop install it; or install it yourself if so inclined. His kits include EVERYTHING: headliner, door and sail panels, armrest covers, seat covers and carpet. Though I'm sure he would supply individual items. They are not cheap but I don't think ANYONE has ever been disappointed or felt they were overpriced. My installer was greatly impressed, and he has himself produced many show winners.

alpha-omegaclothingco.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, alpha-omegaclothingco.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Guys,
                  thanks for all the info and the heads up on Southeast Studebaker. I was impressed after looking at their website. Im trying to figure out the best way to approach this and then Sailingadventure sent me the 9 minute video clip of him driving the Avanti home from work and now i'm torn between "What IF"

Comment

I would check with some local shops and talk to them. A good shop can most times do what you want. I had a local guy do my 64 Gt seats and they look Factory.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                      I would check with some local shops and talk to them. A good shop can most times do what you want. I had a local guy do my 64 Gt seats and they look Factory.
                      Your right they do look factory and a very good job. That style of upholstery is what I remember from the 50s-60s. They should look good when you get them installed. I rolled and pleated the interior on a 1939 Buick coupe one time to get away from the Mohair upholstery and your seats kinda reminded me of that.

Comment

There's a local shop I have used for my other vehicles (headliners mostly) and every time I go in, he has one or two customer long-term project cars that he is doing complete restoration interiors on. He is NOT cheap, but seems to do very nice work from what I've seen.

Mid America Auto Interiors
                        9115 Elmhurst Drive
                        Overland Park, KS 66212
                        Terry Frazee
                        913-649-9440

I had him price the front and rear seats on my 59 Lark to get as close as possible for the original cloth. He could not match it, but advised that he would do $1000 for the front split back bench and $800 for the rear. Add $200 per seat if done in leather. I thought that was high until I started looking around and it's about the same. However, no one seems to be able to match the fabric for my car.

I will check into SE Studebaker now. Thanks for THAT info!
                        Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                        1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

If you want a correct interior SE Studebaker is the way to go. Rene is currently working on a complete interior for our 1964 R2 GT, we also chose him to rebuild and install covers for seats door panels sails and wood grain on dash panels. Not cheap but quality never is.
                          It is an addiction!

Comment

Originally posted by jbwhttail View Post
                            If you want a correct interior SE Studebaker is the way to go. Rene is currently working on a complete interior for our 1964 R2 GT, we also chose him to rebuild and install covers for seats door panels sails and wood grain on dash panels. Not cheap but quality never is.
                            Thanks for sharing. That is good to know and will take it under advisement.

Comment

Keep in mind if you just buy the covers you still have to put them on the seat frames yourself or take it to a shop to have that done. They will most likely charge more to install them than normal but if they do the seats that's part of the deal. Plus time involved. The local shop will most times have them out in a couple weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X