WCFB carb versis WFB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: WCFB carb versis WFB

Did the GT Hawks start using the AFB Carb in 63 or 64?
    Hawkowner

They started using AFB’s in ‘63.

Comment

Yes, 1963. They were OK new but are not so great after 4 or 5 "rebuilds". The new Edelbrock carbs are a very nice bolt on replacement.

Comment

So what happens after 4 or 5 rebuilds?
        1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
        1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
        1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
        1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
        1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
        1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
          The new Edelbrock carbs are a very nice bolt on replacement.
          FWIW, the Edelbrock is not a bolt-on replacement for some here. I've had owners come to me completely baffled by the difference in air horn diameter, throttle linkage, fuel line entrance, vacuum and PCV lines and on earlier intakes, secondary butterfly interference. "But I read it was a bolt-on."

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

It is close to a bolt on as i have done on my GT just finished bought adapter to install AFB Edelbrock on WCFB manifold. Only 2 trips for parts. studs were not long enough needed vacuum hose . Got rid of gas smell in the garage
            Hawk Owner,

Comment

An AFB is a rebuildable carb. , but they do not last forever. A Quadrajet was always a nightmare; it replaced the Rochester 4GC which was a dream by comparison. I believe a WCFB is a more trouble free unit than an AFB. You can probably spend $200 to $300 to restore an AFB. Most likely it still won't be quite right and for a few dollars more you could have bought a new Edelbrock. Ditto Hawk Owner. Took about 3 hrs to put one on my 64 last yr. linkage needs a tweek and you might want to hook vac advance to the driver side port, not the one recommended in the instructions and use the correct attachment for the pcv. Plug all unused vac ports. Holleys are OK, I guess but have seen too many leak.

Comment

Looks to me like Edelbrock is a AFB built by Weber I think Carter is out of business. Some of the drag race guy like the Quadajet because it make the most HP in their mind.
                When I was running circle track the WCFB would not hit in the turns but The AFB and Holley would.
                Hawkowner

Comment

I'll take an AFB over any other 4bbl carb. any day! I usually change to an AFB if at all possible. I even Replaced the Holly on the 428 C.J. that I put into my '66 T-bird, made it a heck of a lot nicer to drive. There was a reason G.M. used the AFB on dual quad set-ups and Mopar too. -Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X