Finally got our '50 Land Cruiser!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got our '50 Land Cruiser!

Kathy and I have been looking for a '50 Land Cruiser for several years now, looking for just the right car and just the right deal. We found it! This car was originally sold in Missouri, spent many years in Kansas before being moved to California a decade ago. There it was stored indoors without running since then. The seller inherited it from his Great Grandpa and says he'd owned it ever since it was only a year or two old. So it's almost a one-owner car. The odometer shows 59,000 miles which I believe is original. The pedals show little wear, the original upholstery is without a tear, and it still wears it's original paint. The LF tire in the pictures is the original spare. After I trailered it home, I had it running within a half-an-hour. Brake pedal goes right to the floor, so I've ordered all new brake hydraulic parts (hoses, cylinders, etc.). I'll be replacing every bit of rubber (hoses). flushing all the fluids, greasing all the fittings, and replacing all the tires with Coker Bias-look Radials. Then we're gonna drive it all over the place. I've always wanted a '50 LC, and this one is equipped just right: Sun Visor, Manual Trans/O.D. and Bumper Over-Riders. Gotta add Fender Skirts to complete "The Look".
    Does anyone recognize this car?Click image for larger version

Name:	46E7B292-19B0-4FB2-888D-E16B43FF0AFF.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1757321Click image for larger version

Name:	10CE8940-339B-470A-9791-CE70AB7EA787.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1757322Click image for larger version

Name:	1A6EEB76-5693-428E-AB16-E2FFA93DBD60.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1757323Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8273.jpg
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1757324

We are also now trying to name it. Put in your vote! What shall we name it?
    1950 Commander Land Cruiser
    1951 Champion Business Coupe
    1951 Commander Starlight
    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
    1953 Champion Starlight
    1953 Commander Starliner
    1953 2R5
    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
    1959 Silver Hawk
    1961 Hawk
    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
    1965 Cruiser
    1970 Avanti

Nice looking car and a rare good find for sure. Would love to see pictures of the trunk, engine, and dash.
    Years ago I bought a set of fender shirts for my 1950 Commander, but decided Studebakers look better without them.

Comment

Congrats! Looks like a solid car

Comment

Looking good Kenny. 50 LC’s are one of my favorites.

I think we’ve got a set of stainless fender skirts if you really want to bling it up.

Comment

Hmmm... I think painted ones would look the most "right" in this case... Thank you.
          1950 Commander Land Cruiser
          1951 Champion Business Coupe
          1951 Commander Starlight
          1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
          1953 Champion Starlight
          1953 Commander Starliner
          1953 2R5
          1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
          1957 Silver Hawk
          1957 3E5 Pick-Up
          1959 Silver Hawk
          1961 Hawk
          1962 Cruiser 4 speed
          1963 Daytona Convertible
          1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
          1965 Cruiser
          1970 Avanti

Comment

Congratulations Kenny! It shows that patience pays off. Hopefully we'll see her in person at the International meet in August.
            Cheers, Bill

Comment

Very nice! It looks like it may have been stored inside for most of its life. Do you have the build sheet for it yet? I was curious if it came from the factory, with the visor and bumper Over-riders. Enjoy driving it.
              Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Replace the steel brake lines also , You'll be glad you did , Ed

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
                  Replace the steel brake lines also , You'll be glad you did , Ed
                  Ed Jones beat me to it. If what you say is true, the ones on it are no doubt the originals. In the interest of safety I would summarily remove them all! Then replace with new CuNi lines, along with the hoses and cylinders. Repack your bearings as well. You wont want to take the time to do this once you start driving.

And read this article from the Tech Tips page of this web site. http://studebakerdriversclub.com/TechThings2do.asp

Nice find!
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Very nice! Best of luck with it.
                    As others said, replace all of the brake system. It is much more important to stop than to go.
                    It appears to be a late 1950 model.
                    I would remove the bumper over-riders, at least in the front, to improve the looks. They tend to take away from the bullet nose/airplane styling.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by drrotor View Post
                      Hmmm... I think painted ones would look the most "right" in this case... Thank you.
                      Well.. We've got some of those too.

Comment

Great find! As for the nicknames, I elect either “Emily” or “Desire” to be it. Nothing hokey like “Chrishtine” or “Suzie-Q” but not ripping off my 62 GT Hawk’s name either (Daisy-Mae)!
                        Last edited by Stude Shoo-wop!; 02-10-2018, 01:25 PM.
                        Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Get rid of the half covers over the lights. Check your wiring for freyed insulation, and fix that. Tires, and brakes should be the priority. Beautiful find.
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Congrats! She's a beaut!
                            Dean Seavers
                            Sacramento, CA

Comment

I've always regretted that my '50 LC died in 1958. College on the parents' nickle didn't allow fixing.... I'm making do with a '55 LC now, but it's not the same car.

Comment

Working...
                              X