Wheel Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Wheel Covers

Where can you get your 1961 Hawk 15" wheel covers reconditioned and re-painted ? I know you can buy repo ones from Studebaker International for $75 each. By the time you have the wheels powder coated and new repo wheel covers your looking at $125 each easily and you can buy American Racing Torque Thrust "D" for about the same with less maintenance. I for one think they look good on a Hawk. My biggest complaint about wheel covers is the potential damage to the rims and the wheel cover itself each time you remove and re-install. Just trying to weigh all the options.

Stuhawk

The only time I faced this, I got good used covers and painted them. If you have to pay someone else it will be expensive because of the time involved.
    There was someone selling vinyl stickers to replace the paint on some covers. That would be quicker.
    BTW I would love some Torque Thrust wheels on my 52. It may happen eventually.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I had a problem with the wheel covers on my 61 Hawk as well. I am using Ford rims as I wanted wider tires but I lost two left front wheel covers. I found a good used set on E-bay and selected the best ones to replaces mine. They were not cheap, since then I check them every time I drive it. Don't quite know why it was just the left front one? I also think the Torque Thrust wheels look good on the 61 Hawk and am strongly considering going with a set, especially if I lose another wheel cover. Don
      Don Watson
      61 Hawk

Comment

You can get stickers on Ebay for $30 a set of 4 covers. I painted mine, Rustoleum, took 45 minutes each to mask them but they turned out great.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20160409_083019.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1719488Red center = 1962

Comment

The repaint turned out nice! All of that masking would take some patience, but I suppose that lining up and placing all of the decals would also be tedious. In the end, I think that the paint will likely age better. I found a set of NOS for 1966, to put on my 60 Hawk. Not factory correct, but I think they will look good. I will be running the factory wheels, so hope they will stay in place.
          Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

You don't really need to mask. Just paint and rub the excess off with lacquer thinner or acetone on a rag on your finger. It's a lot faster that way.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
              You don't really need to mask. Just paint and rub the excess off with lacquer thinner or acetone on a rag on your finger. It's a lot faster that way.
              I tried that first Roy. The unpainted spaces between the black bars is only 3/16" wide and not raised or defined enough for that to work for me, perhaps my fingers are too fat. That does work for many things though, just not for these wheelcovers, at least for me.

Comment

I consider the time taken to mask off many of these parts as therapy. After many hours of taping, the 29 seconds of spray painting seems so rewarding.
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I used the decals on my 57 Commander, very easy to apply and last well. Spray window cleaner on the cover and slide the decal into place. Dab excess moisture with a paper towel, dries in position nicely.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the responses. I now have a driver set of wheel covers. I think instead of powder coat and new/recon. wheel covers I might go to the Torque Thrust "D"s. What do you guys think looks better on a 61 Hawk the gray with machine lip or the one piece cast aluminum chrome ?

Comment

My vote is for the one piece cast aluminum chrome. I have a 1960 Hawk and I am considering Cragar classics for all make car shows.
                      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

What color is the car? I like chrome with darker colors and the wheels with less contrast on lighter colors.
                        Originally posted by Stuhawk View Post
                        Thanks guys for all the responses. I now have a driver set of wheel covers. I think instead of powder coat and new/recon. wheel covers I might go to the Torque Thrust "D"s. What do you guys think looks better on a 61 Hawk the gray with machine lip or the one piece cast aluminum chrome ?
                        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                        1950 Champion Convertible
                        1950 Champion 4Dr
                        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                          What color is the car? I like chrome with darker colors and the wheels with less contrast on lighter colors.
                          I like chrome wheels, but then again I usually have dark color cars where the chrome stands out better.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The car is factory Black and the fin stripe is factory Beige. I have seen both wheel choices on 59-61 Hawks and they both look good. Do you think that the one that stands out the least and doesn't draw your eye away from the car and just to the wheels would be better ?

Comment

My thought is that if the chrome on the car is all shined up, the chrome wheels will compliment that, as well as the beautiful car.

Comment

Working...
                              X