Lark Map Light is broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Lark Map Light is broken

While trying to replace the bulb in my 59 Lark dome/map light, it appears that the bulb backing piece has broken.
    Do I need to replace the whole unit, or is there a fix for this?
    I guess I could try to make a replacement piece out of plastic, not sure how well that will go...

Any suggestions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	map light.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1757288

Dorman has one found at Rockauto should be able at any auto parts store

Comment

In a pinch I've even made such a piece from an old circuit board after I removed the copper.

Comment

That interchanges with many other years. I'd replace it so it does not sort out down the road.

Comment

Look what I found at Autozone. Sweet!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0164.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1719464

Comment

Originally posted by creegster View Post
            Look what I found at Autozone. Sweet!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70245[/ATTACH]
            Unless I'm missing something, you need to take that one back and exchange it for a "single" filament bulb. The one you show here looks perfect for a double element bulb, but not a map/dome light.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The broken one in the original post is a dual contact insulator. Had me puzzled too, but it has 2 contact holes but only one wire and contact.
              Originally posted by jclary View Post
              Unless I'm missing something, you need to take that one back and exchange it for a "single" filament bulb. The one you show here looks perfect for a double element bulb, but not a map/dome light.
              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
              1950 Champion Convertible
              1950 Champion 4Dr
              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                The broken one in the original post is a dual contact insulator. Had me puzzled too, but it has 2 contact holes but only one wire and contact.
                This looks right to me: the original was a double-filament as well. IE, it has 2 contacts on the base of the bulb. Some parts shot out of the housing when I was working on it, and I dont know where they went, so they are not in the original photo.

Comment

The bulb may use one filament for the switched power at the light housing and the other filament for the door switches.
                  Originally posted by creegster View Post
                  This looks right to me: the original was a double-filament as well. IE, it has 2 contacts on the base of the bulb. Some parts shot out of the housing when I was working on it, and I dont know where they went, so they are not in the original photo.
                  sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                  1950 Champion Convertible
                  1950 Champion 4Dr
                  1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                  1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Double contacts does seem strange, and I'd look at the wiring schematic to see what they show.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                      As per the Owner's Guide, they use a 1004 bulb, which is double-filament. https://www.autozone.com/electrical-.../16805_0_18269

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                        As per the Owner's Guide, they use a 1004 bulb, which is double-filament. https://www.autozone.com/electrical-.../16805_0_18269

Craig
                        Thanks for the clarification...a good thing to remember...'till I forget...again
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

There was a time when you would see scads of these late model "used" dome lights, including the cover and lens, for a buck or two at Studebaker swap meets.
                          Dan Peterson
                          Montpelier, VT
                          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

There are single filament with dual contact bulbs for a variety of applications where the assembly is not used as a ground where one of the wires is connected to ground. I have wired some lighting this way to assure a good ground. This type of assembly is used in marine applications where the body is fiberglass where there is no continuous ground. This also works well around rusty tail lights and anywhere where a good grounds are questionable.

Comment

Studebaker actually sold those 'fiber discs' as a repair item. We have a bin tray full of single wire types.... Not sure If we have a disc for two wires or how many.

Anyone need single wire discs?

Now days a good dome assy is 20 bucks in good condition. (evil vendors! )

Comment

Working...
                              X