57 Hawk w/ supercharged Packard straight 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Hawk w/ supercharged Packard straight 8

For sale in Los Angeles. Its pretty dang cool minus the radiator. But neat to see it kept in the "family"
    327 cu in Packard flat head 8 with McCullough supercharger. That would be fun to drive and show off.
    Maybe not for $25,000 in its current condition, but, WOW. It's awesome.
    sals54

That beast should be called a Frankenbaker!

Comment

Hmmmmmmm looks like another post @11:37 pm! Go for it Sal!

Bob Miles
      Tucson AZ

Comment

This thing is so over the top and outlandish it makes me smile.
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

My question is why would someone want to go backwards with technology? The Packard straight 8 engine is heavy, wont RPM and makes less horsepower than a supercharged 289 and probably less than a tuned up stock 289. Bud

Comment

Definitely gets an A for effort! But if it were me, I’d find a Packard or Packard owner who needed a motor. Then build a 289 and install the supercharger. Shame he cut up that hood, but it’s his car.
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
              My question is why would someone want to go backwards with technology? The Packard straight 8 engine is heavy, wont RPM and makes less horsepower than a supercharged 289 and probably less than a tuned up stock 289. Bud
              It's not about improving the technology of the car, nor is it about 'upgrading' the car to make it more driveable, etc. As Scott alluded to in post #4, it's all about being over the top and outlandish............different from the typical gray-hair's car, different from the mainstream.
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I just don't understand why he chose the upright radiator. Some more custom metal work with the hood will help a lot.

I always gave a friend of mine a hard time because he chose a ho hum chevy engine instead of a supercharged straight 8 to put into his '39 Pontiac coupe.
                Mike Sal

Comment

If you could somehow smooth the transition from the hood
                  into a '41-47 Clipper-style rad/grill, you'd really have something to behold

Comment

I wonder how much volume that blower can force through that small carb. The engine has the displacement to handle more.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes, for true, who doesn't love a supercharged straight eight? Builder also gets props for thinking beyond SBC.

No, it's not a real car, anyone notice the front rake resulting from another 500# on the front springs?

It's also doubtful it has been run hard, as that flex hose from the blower to the air box doesn't look like it would hold much boost.

I'd buy it just because it's there, but not at the $25K asking; he may own it a while.

jack vines
                      Last edited by PackardV8; 02-03-2018, 09:39 AM.
                      PackardV8

Comment

What the ???

Comment

In it's current state, $2500 would be a fair price. It might be worth $25000 if it were to be completely finished with a show quality paint job and interior, and able to be driven.
                          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Hi

Put that engine where it belongs and would fit comfortably: under the hood of a Packard, preferably a 120" wb '46-'47 Clipper Deluxe two door club sedan customized in the style of the early postwar period. It's outlandish now which was no doubt the builder's intent....but outlandish gets tiresome very quickly.

Steve

Comment

They should just convert the passenger side fresh air vent door to an exhaust port and run it with a straight pipe - this guy got it right...

Comment

Working...
                              X