Dealer Service Receipt from 1956

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealer Service Receipt from 1956

I picked up a 1951 Studebaker Service Manual at a car show flea market this summer for $5 and was flipping through it yesterday and discovered this receipt for some work done on a 1954 Land Cruiser (L.C.) at E. Hansen Co. of Portland, ME. It states that it is "Northern New England's Largest Studebaker Dealer". It's interesting to note that the dealership discounted the parts by 25% and the labor by 50% for this customer. I suspect they probably bought their car new from this dealership and good customer service keeps them coming back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker Receipt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	1757263
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

I can't make out what the 2 ? for $15.90 is, and I wonder why the labor was cut in half?

10 years after this receipt I was working in a Service Station, and our parts and labor would have been about the same. Then another 10 years later, in 1976 I was working at the GM dealership, and the labor rates were still only $10 per hour, but right after that the labor rates really went nuts.

Comment

I think it's for front shocks, as these were to be checked in the work order on the right.
      Dan Peterson
      Montpelier, VT

Comment

I was thinking the same thing, but it looks like he wrote "shockers", which made no sense to me.

Comment

47K (42K?) miles for two years was high for those days.
          This order was on my sister's 22nd birthday.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Imagine what the numbers would be on the invoice today for that work!
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

There are some other "possibilities" about the Discount.

In Aug. 1966 with 66,000 Miles on a '54, this could have been sold by them as Used and the repairs included in the deal at 25% off, OR Mr. Perkins was an employee.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich,

Take a closer look, the year is 1956 and the mileage is 47110.
                Dan Peterson
                Montpelier, VT

Comment

The building is still there. Google 531 Forest Ave. Portland, ME. The top floor is a music
                  studio. Be sure to zoom in just above the center window.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker Dealership Portland ME.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1719412

Paul,

Here is 531 Forest Ave. from Google Earth Street view, this was obviously an older (1920s) Studebaker dealer building, but the receipt above says 300 Forest Ave.

Could they have moved down the street at a later time. The building at 300 Forest Ave. is now a newer building for Southern Maine University.
                    Dan Peterson
                    Montpelier, VT

Comment

That matching building to it's right, looks like it could have been the Service Dept. of a Large Dealership.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Forest Ave was for many years the automobile row of Portland, Maine, and had dealerships from many makes. It is possible that the main dealership was located at 300 Forest Ave, and the service department and used car lot were farther out of town at 531. The area around the 300 block was obliterated in 1959-60 by the construction of I-295, so it's likely that the original dealership building at 300 Forest Ave was demolished at that time.

Off topic, but I feel compelled to note that the old Stude building at 530 is only a few doors down from one of the great bars of North America -- the Great Lost Bear, with 70 beers on tap, at 540 Forest Ave.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                          Off topic, but I feel compelled to note that the old Stude building at 530 is only a few doors down from one of the great bars of North America -- the Great Lost Bear, with 70 beers on tap, at 540 Forest Ave.
                          Best answer...

Comment

Cool stuff, thanks for sharing!

Comment

I guess my background as a history teacher rises to the surface with threads like this. I really find it cool how much Studebaker history rises to the surface here at times. This one I find quite interesting.
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                              X